Complete Rupture of Achilles at the calf junction

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all, 

By looking at this page, I am not alone.

While on holidays, I was running on the beach 28th December with my nephew when I felt a pop, down I went.  By 4am the next day I presented at the hospital and was told I had torn my calf muscle and sent home.  

8 days later when I got home, I went to my GP and he sent me for an ultrasound, complete tear of my left leg Achilles at the junction.  Hospital said they would not operate as it was 8 days since injury and because of the location.  Was put in a full length 1/2 plaster for one week.  Yesterday I was fitted with a boot and 3 wedges and told no weight bearing for another 2 weeks.  Sometimes it is hard not to use the leg as I landed on my right knee which is painful when carrying all the load smile If I use my injured leg during these 2 weeks, is it going to prolong the healing? So far I am just resting the heel of the boot on the floor, not actually walking on it.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Oh, man!  Sorry for your injury. It is a real bummer. The boot is a pain and the non weight bearing phase is quite a problem. I am no doc, but I would recommend following the protocol and going the full time without weight bearing. Renting a knee scooter helps get around, or some nice ergo crutches. Check out "mobilegs."  You can google it they are really handy until you are full weight bearing (seems like 5-7 weeks). The first part of recovery seem really slow, but it gets better. Physical therapy helps a lot. If your doc didn'Rx it, ask again and again. 

As you go through this blog you will find that people had different experiences; some had an easier time, others had various complications. Hang in there, and best wishes for a quick and smooth recovery. 

• Posted

Thanks Rob, I am so worried about doing the wrong thing and having to start from the beginning again.  I go back to work Tuesday next week on light duties so I will follow protocol and keep off it smile 

It does appear that everyone is different in their treatments, healing process etc... What a complicated injury, have never broken a bone in my body so this is my first, made sure I did a good job of it smile

Enjoy the rest of your day smile

• Posted

Hi Ness

I feel your pain and frustration...literally! I had a complete RUPTURE and was told there was a 3cm gap. Complete tear? Is that the same thing? Stupidly, I did not ask where my rupture occurred but if felt nearer the calf than the heel.

I had to wait 2 weeks for a scan and a further week for an operation, so 3 weeks post injury. I was then in a cast for 2 weeks and boot for a further 4 weeks (4 wedges reducing each week) but I was told to start weight bearing once I went into the boot. I was however told to wear it 24/7 to keep the leg totally immobilised.

I purchased a knee scooter as I was so restricted by crutches. It was a life saver. I was whizzing around on it for several weeks!

I would check with the orthopaedic consultant about putting weight on the leg. From reading things, it seems different people have different approaches. I'm now 15 weeks post op and 6 weeks out of the boot and I still can't walk properly; only a slow shuffle. The achillles, calf and ankle are all still very very tight and the physio has told me I need to keep doing my exercises and be patient. It's improving each week but I know it will take time.

I'm just about to sell my knee Scooter on eBay as it was expensive and is still in perfect condition. It will serve someone else well.

I hope this helps but I would go back to the consultant and ask more questions.

Good luck!

Cibby

• Posted

Hi Cibby smile

Wow! My heart goes out to all who have been through this injury.  

Those knee scooters sound great, will look at getting one I think.  

Yes, everyone's recovery journey is different, I was only in a full plaster for 1 week until I was fitted with the boot, will check with the Orthopaedic Dr regarding weight bearing.  Would be much easier as crutches can become very uncomfortable.

Good to hear you are well and truly on the mend, keep up those exercises  and stay positive.  

Thanks for your message smile

• Posted

Re the scooter, where are you based? They are very expensive but I'm looking to get £100 for mine.

• Posted

Ha ha. I shan't offer to bring it round then! Best wishes with your recovery.

• Posted

It's the thought that counts.  Thanks for the offer Cibby, would have lived a cuppa with you.  Take care smile

• Posted

My advice...stay off your feet. Stay horizontal as much as you can to keep the swelling down, etc.

What did 8 days passing have to do with not having surgery?  That's making me nervous as I'm having surgery in 3 days after my re-rupture 5 weeks ago.  They were going to put me back into the boot until I demanded an MRI or ultrasound, something they didn't do with the first tear (which was a full tear).  You were lucky to have that done.  To this day, I don't know why they didn't do it when I went to the  ER. 

I went back to work after 2 weeks from the tear and put my foot on a can with a pillow the first time I tore it in June.  I'm staying horizontal for 6-8 weeks and not working this time around as I can not afford to have this happen again.

Does anyone have any tips on recovery or has anyone been in my situation with a re-rupture within a year and waiting several weeks for surgery?

• Posted

Hi Nate,

I am so sorry to hear that you have had a re-rupture.  Brought tears to my eyes as I can only imagine how you must be feeling.

I have no idea what the 8 day problem was, possibly an excuse lol.  Don't be nervous, all will be okay for you.

Real shame they did not give you an ultrasound last time, I was advised that it was the best thing to do so they knew what they were dealing with.  The first Hospital I presented at told my it was a torn calf muscle, put a pressure bandage on it and sent me on my way.

All the best Nate and take care smile Will be thinking of you.

• Posted

Hi Ness

I had a complete rupture close the the calf and was told surgery was not advisable due to the location of the rupture. The achilles changes from being hard and almost bone like at the base to being more like muscle fibres as it gets closer to the calf and this can be very tricky to stitch, a bit like cooked spaghetti I was told. Anyway, mine was 13 months ago and I'm fully recovered with the AR method, a week with a half cast followed by around 9 weeks in the boot with wedge removal every fortnight and then just gradually building up strength and flexibility, regular physio for around 10 sessions. The tendon is still a lot thicker than the other one but other than that I'm fine, just cycled about 35 miles this morning, run 3 miles a couple of times a week (Not a huge amount I know but I am 54!) and I don't get any reaction any more. It was a very slow, gradual improvement though and hard work!

Great tip on the knee scooter, don't know what I would have done without mine. I hired one but I'm in the UK so not much help to you.

Good luck with your recovery

• Posted

Hi Chris,

Thank you for you message.

Your treatment is the same as mine smile Nice to hear a positive story from a non-op recovery.  I was fitted with a boot Thurs last week, my first wedge does not come out foe 10 more days.  I have absolutely no pain in my leg, hoping this is quite normal for this stage of recovery.

Returning to work tomorrow, this makes me nervous as it is hard getting around at times with crutches.  I have got a pair that are elbow ones and not under the arm.  Finding them easier to manover.  Really happy to read about your progress, well done smile Stay safe and stay well smile

• Posted

I had the same crutches, found them fine at first but my hands quickly got quite tender and that's where the knee scooter came into its own, gave me a well needed break! I didn't miss any work at all, went in the day after I did the injury with the half cast and crutches! I haven't had a day of sick for about 30 years and didn't want to lose my record, sad I know! Take care. Chris

• Posted

The scooter is really handy around the house--make sure you get a basket for it so you can carry stuff (like a beer) from one room to another!  One of those fabric shopping bags is handy as well: you can hang it over the handle bars for carrying other things (like an order of chips to go with the beer).

Hope you get through this and recover quickly.

Regards,

• Posted

Ha, ha, ha smile You have made my day, a bit of humour.  Thanks Rob.  I have looked at getting a scooter, saw one with a basket so I'm guessing after reading your post, I will get the basket lol. 

First day of work went well, used the office chair to wheel myself around smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.