Completely plumeted fue to work situation

Posted , 4 users are following.

I went to work today where I have been for 1.5 years. When I started, they agreed I could work at home 3 days a week as I lived far from the office. My contract however was generic and said office location. Today I am told this will no longer work and I have to be in office 5 days a week....I explained I took the job on the understanding I could work at home and could not afford the 5 day commute.... I got rude email saying they expect me to be in 5 days from july 1st.

Im panicking and cannot cope..there is bullying going on and i cannot afford the commute. Also I feel bullied. I cant stop crying...i wont be able to see psychologist anymore as they also said no appointments in work hours.

I feel i want to die

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like your employer did the old 'bait and switch' on you. I can understand why you'd be angry and frustrated.

Might be time to start looking for new employment? The good thing is the economic climate is good for looking for a new job (at least it is in America where I live), there are good jobs available.

I wish you the best of luck, k. Don't let the situation get you too down, things may change for the better very quickly. 

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear about your situation, I thought I would reply as I manage leader's at work plus have experience with HR practices too, so I am hoping I may be of help.

Have you been referred to occupational health? The reason I ask is that employers have to make reasonable adjustments for their staff, given your location and underlying mental health challenges by law they have to give consideration to your situation. This may require revealing a little more about your psychological difficulties but if they point blank refuse this is discrimination.

You also mentioned bullying which I am sorry to hear, have you addressed this via your work grievance procedure, naturally I would recommend that you do, coupled with your situation this may make a compelling case, but more importantly no one should get away with treating people like this and they must be held accountable for their actions.

Best of luck, hope it works out in your favour.

• Posted

No

OH has not been mentioned. They dont follow procedure..I was off sick 2 months a tear ago and when I returned OH was not mentioned.

I feel they are trying to make me leave snd backed into a corner

• Posted

OK, I can imagine this is very worrying for you and understand your concerns, but rather than wait or not receive assistance from OH ask them for their details and contact them yourself, also contact HR and ask them for a their procedure in such cases and how to raise a grievance . If they have not followed procedure they are liable, if they should have referred you to OH and your management have neglected to do this again they are liable. This falls under a duty of care issue and bullying which would normally constitute to gross misconduct. Also I would agree with keeping journals, names, times and try to keep communication via email if possible so it can be evidenced. I would also recommend ACAS for advise they are very helpful. Another thought is the joining the Union and consulting with a representative. I appreciate this is stress that you don't need right now, but they are discriminating because you have dibilitating illness which has manefested mentally. I really hope you are able resolve this as soon as possible. Hope this was of help.

• Posted

Hi k8861 - i would have to agree: it seems they are making things uncomfortable and inconvenient for you because they want you to quit. If the contract has stipulated work must be done on premises each working day and you signed that document, you have agreed to those rules. However, if you can provide evidence that you had an agreement with management that you would work from home 3 days a week, you have grounds for dispute. If you want to fight, my suggestion to you is to keep records or journals of everything that happens concerning this matter - any meetings, memos, conversations, phone calls - everything! Meanwhile if you want to keep the job in the interim while you sort this out or look for a more accommodating employer, you will have to toes their line - I would suggest they are waiting for any breach committed to terminate your employment. We are either commodities or collateral for many employers and society has trapped us there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.