complex cyst post-op preparations?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I will be having a key hole surgery in 4 weeks in order to remove a complex cyst which has grown in size to 6.5 cm. I was told that I also have  plenty of inflammation and my cancer markers were very high but it could be due to the endometriosis they found and the inflammation. At this stage it is a complex key hole surgery to hopefully remove the cyst and all the endometriosis they found everywhere but there is a chance I may lose the ovary. I would like to ask about preparation for after surgery and any advice would be greatly appreciated! For instance, should I be buying any special equipments to help me in the shower, around the house? How long will I require assistance before I can bend down and move properly? Does anyone advise for a longer stay in the hospital in order to manage? Are there any tablets I can take to get rid of the gas pain which everyone seems to mention as being very painful? I tend to be a very slow healer and worried about recovery and pain management. Thank you.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

n,

I'd be interested to see if there are any replies, as I'm having surgery. August 3rd.

I've heard that the gas pain is terrible, but don't know what is a good over the counter med for that.

Also wondering how they do post-op pain management after you're out of the hospital.

Hope we hear something soon

• Posted

I had zero pain and was home within 6 hours.  I couldn't do any heavy lifting for about 2 weeks and was able to take a shower the next day.

You can ask your doctoer to see if they can release some of the gas before stiching you up.

Have a speedy recovery!

• Posted

Hello n,

I had surgery on April 25 to remove my right ovary and tube due to a 14.5cm cyst.  I came out of surgery which started off as key hole, but it turned out to be open due to the size of cyst with both tubes and right ovary gone.

I started walking right away with stairs too.  You should not need any any special assistance, but each person is different.  I went back to work after 2 weeks

I did feel like a bowling ball for the first week, but had no shoulder pain.  I guess my doctor was able to release some gas before stiching me up.  I came home same day with some restrictions as to no heavy lifting for 2 weeks.  I had zero pain was given a RX for pain meds due to having hernia repair at same time and that I did have pain.

Good luck and have a speedy recovery!

• Posted

Hi N. Peppermint tea is supposed to help with the gas problem I believe. You can buy peppermint oil tabs or capsules from pharmacies and helath food shops. (UK). Over the counter wind and gas relief products are available too. You should ask in the hospital about pain relief meds. Best wishes for you surgery. X Poll UK 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.