Complex mass in pelvis

Posted , 6 users are following.

Large complex mass (likely dermoid)  found in right of pelvis and slightly smaller one in left of pelvis at ultrasound appointment looking for gallstones, urgent referral under “2 week wait rule” had mri last week and have consultants appointment tomorrow. I have so many questions but know I will just burst into tears when I get in the room so I am wondering if any of you can help;

What will happen in tomorrow’s appointment?

How are they likely to remove it?

Will they tell me I am too fat for surgery, I am 5ft 11 and weigh 20st, I know I am very overweight but will that stop them doing anything?

Is the consultant likely to give me a surgery date tomorrow or will it be a case of more waiting?

Sorry but since this started I haven’t slept and can’t have a conversation about it without bursting into tears. 

Jen

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I would write down all of your questions for your apt. tomorrow in case you are upset, you won't forget to ask anything. For sure, you will feel better after your apt. 

FYI I am overweight and had surgery, didn't stop anything. Every case is different but you will find out soon enough. Cysts and gallstones are common.... the good news is you are aware of it and they are taking action to treat it. 

Try to stay calm as it won't help to get upset. Having surgery was the best thing I ever did. I had to wait for a surgery date as well, I did not get one with my consult... but it could be different for you. 

• Posted

Hi Jenny.

It’s scary isn’t it. I found out in May, by chance, that I had a large 20cm Dermoid on my left ovary (turned out to be three on top of each other!) and a smaller 7cm on my right. I’m 3 weeks post op after having them removed along with my left ovary and tube. 

Are you in he UK? I had my consultant appointment on the 21st June and she looked at my scans and talked me through what she felt was the best action. She mentioned leaving them as they weren’t causing me pain, but I explained I wanted them out and tested because of family history. She really helped put my mind at rest and was confident in saving my ovary with the smaller cyst. My surgeon did tell me that once they opened me up they may find other issues, and just explained some scenarios like ending up taking both ovaries.

I got my op date 2 days later. 

I am also overweight, 5”8 and 16st. If they decide to remove them, You will have a pre op where they will assess whether you are fit enough for surgery. I had to have an ecg because my pulse was high. I tried telling them I had white coat syndrome!

Honestly, waiting around is the worse part. It’s a scary time. Please talk to people either here or family/friends. I’m sure it’ll be fine xx

• Posted

How large is the cyst? Mine was 38cm . I'm 3.5 weeks post op.  It depends on the type and size and location for how big the cut will be and where they make the cut or the type of surgery they will choose. If they deem it serious they will probably schedule you a surgery date tomorrow, which seems bad but if you think about it. If there is something wrong you don't want to wait around for that thing to burst or if something more serious is happening inside the cyst to give it more time to possibly spread to other organs. After seeing the picture of my cyst after removal, I can't believe I even waited a week for the surgery, the thought of all the damage it could of done in even that short amount of time. Regardless, I was still really scared but I pushed through it because the thought of the alternative is much worse.  I also joined this forum reaching out for support.  I hope they get it taken care of - keep us updated too.  Good Luck you can do it.

• Posted

Hi Jenny.  I was diagnosed with a 22cm ovarian cyst in June.  They can't confirm if it is benign until they send it off for biopsy after operation.   I had appt with gynae on 25th July, and will have surgery next Tuesday for total hysterectomy including ovaries. 

I am 15 stone with a BMI of 34 and my weight hasn't been mentioned once.   As Gilly has said, you'll get a pre-op checking you're fine for surgery.  My BP was high due to white coat syndrome as well.

Keep us updated.  Hope all goes well x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.