Complex Ovarian Cyst 6cm- laparoscopy or laparotomy?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Ive had an complex ovarian cyst full of fluid on my right ovary for 9 years and had recently grown over 2cm since my MRI scan last Nov, I had another ultrasound last week aswell as bloods doing- CA-125 and LDH and got called in to my consultant a few days later to say they are doing surgery but unsure of whether it would be keyhole or open. My ca-125 and LDH is high with a LDH of 282 and they are performing a biopsy as suspect maybe cancerous due to the quick growth of over 2cm in the last 9 years. I was wondering whether anyone has similar experiences and whether anyone has had their LDH blood test and what was your result? Thankyou guys

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I am also only 19 years old and have PCOS/ POF
  • Posted

Hi meganlouise97, is your CA125 a good number?
    • Posted

Hi 2katzen j, my ca125 was high that's all she told me I never saw the number or anything it worried me as she did bring up ovarian cancer and said I'll be fine no matter whatsad

• Posted

Hi meganlouise97, I haven't had an LDH, but the complex cysts (several on both ovaries) have grown .5 cm in 5 months. The dr. didn't seem to think that was "quick growth" ; but that seems a little fast to me, as I'm 11 yrs. past menopause, I no longer ovulate & I'm pretty sure nothing should be happening down there.

When is your surgery scheduled? Have you had an pre-op done?

• Posted

What have the doctors said about it? When I scanned my cyst back in 2013 it was 3cm then Nov 2016 it was 5cm and now it is just over 6cm but for 3 years it didn't grow at all, I'm currently waiting I find out tomorrow when it is but when I spoke to my consultant they said key hole but when I spoke to one of the practitioners at the hospital they said open as need to do a biopsy and cancer is suspected so I don't know what to expectsad i haven't had my pre op yet but they said I should receive a letter tomorrow regarding it all so it's a waiting game for me at the moment

• Posted

I saw the gyno dr. today and he said the slow growth is probably a good sign, it means there's a higher probability of being benign.

It's hard to wait, and it's hard go on with everyday normal life stuff when we want this to be resolved.

• Posted

Hi there,

I have been recently diagnosed with a left ovarian complex bilateral dermoid cyst measuring 8 cm x 5.6 cm x 5.4 cm. I also have 2 cysts in my right ovary.both dermoid, My consultant currently wants to do laparotomy as opposed to laparoscopy due to the cyst having fluid compartments despite laparoscopy being predominantly used for ovarian cysts.She says its the best surgical option in preserving my ovaries.

Has anyone had anything like this or experienced this?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.