complex ovarian cyst and that's all they really told me

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

Well, I am having mixed feelings after being told I have a 2.5cm complex cyst in my left ovary.  For the last few months I have been bloated and I was dragging my feet on getting myself to the doctor hoping it would just go away on its own.

Then one of my relatives said she couldn't help but stare at me because I look like I'm four months pregnant.  (Okay this relative was my mother).

Since I'm 47 years old and pretty much separated and also getting my period every month there was obviously zero chance of being pregnant so I finally went to see the doctor who referred me to have an ultrasound.   

During the ultrasound I actually started trembling because the techs made it seem like something was obviously wrong.   They spent an hour taking pictures, and then told me that most likely I was going to need another test but I need to wait to talk to my doctor because only she is allowed to give me that information.  

Then there was miscommunication from the doctor's office.  Her nurse/assistant called a few days later to say I had multiple cysts on my left ovary and my doctor referred me to follow up with a gynecologist however the cysts were all perfectly fine and there was nothing to worry about.  She also told me I wouldn't be needing any more tests.

Well, I was very relieved but was still curious about the size and number of these cysts so I scheduled a phone apt. with my doctor and she told me that one of the cysts is a complex cyst.  She refused to give me any more information after that, I had to ask over and over again until she finally told me the complex cyst was 2.5cm but said it didn't matter. 

So I was unhappy with this conversation and being given wrong information by her assistant. I think the doctor herself should have called me with the results considering it was a complex cyst.  

Well, now I'm scheduled to see an OBGYN in a few days. And all I know is  what I said:  multiple cysts on left ovary and one of them is complex, 2.5cm.   No cysts on other ovary.  

Oh, she did say she doesn't think that the bloating is related to the cysts.  I fasted for a couple of days and the bloating did not go away completely but it did improve a lot.  It looks like along with being bloated I have gained some real belly fat.  I was relieved to see this!     

The thing is, I think I can actually FEEL this cyst from pressing on my stomach, there is something a little bit more firm on the left side that isn't there own the right side.   Are ovaries really that low???  I thought I knew quite a bit about the female reproductive system but I had no ideas ovaries were so low.   

I have not been in pain, by the way...but I do feel like I could lie still for hours with no urge to get up and move around,  It's not fatigue, but it's weird.

So, I just wanted to introduce myself and my situation.  I don't know what to expect from this apt. with the OBGYN.   If anybody has any suggestions or thoughts about how I can prepare for the apt., or anything else, I would be glad to hear it!   Thank you.   

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hey, I'm sorry but is it possible to edit posts?   I wanted to cut mine down by about half!   Thanks.   

• Posted

Sorry to hear what you said. I am in 48 hours going to have an operation to remove a 32cm cyst and I have been getting people saying I am pregnant. It's taken me over three months to get from the diagnosis to the actual operation and that's going private. Operation wise it could be keyhole surgery which is a shorter stay in hospital and quicker recovery or like me due to the size open surgery a bigger cut longer in hospital I am expecting to stay in two nights and possibly longer recovery but that depends on the individual. Hope you get it sorted and anything you want to ask please do xx

• Posted

Hi Eleanor77971,  

I am sorry for not responding sooner.  I was having trouble logging in for awhile. 

I know it has been over a week since you said you were going in to have this operation.  I hope that everything went well and that you are doing great, and that your recovery has been easy.  Thank you for responding to my post, especially considering you took the time when you were going to be having an operation!

I had a weird appointment wher the doctor was very rude and sloppy but told me I was fine.  However he also told me women get complex cysts every month which obviously is not true.  Only after I took out a study which I had printed out did he correct himself.   So I am going to make another appointment with a different doctor.    

Again I thank you and send my hope that the operation went easy and that you are recovering very well!!!

• Posted

Hi the operation went well but was much more seroius and longer than expected. Came home three days after the operation the recovery has been slow and a bumpy ride so far... But I have to added complications which are affecting it and I am going back in next Tuesday for a smaller part of the procedure. Defo find a doctor who you are confident with it makes all the difference ... I am lucky I have s very supportive doctor who not only got me through the operation but since has been providing me with much reassurance and also helping my mum.deal a bit with this trumatic time. So makes all the difference. Good luck and ask me anything you want xxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.