Complex Ovarian Cyst during Pregnancy

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am 30 yrs old woman, currently 13th week pregnant with first baby who discovered cyst on both ovaries during 6th week pregnant. My physician suggested for Ultrasound scan which revealed Complex Cyst on both ovaries.

Cyst Size measured during 6th Week.

Right Ovary : Complex septated Cyst with mural nodule : No fluid: 7.6 cm

Left Ovary : Complex septated Cyst : 4.4 cm

Cyst Size measured during 13th Week: Size of cyst remain constant and has not grown, although as per Ultrasound tech the characteristics of solid nodule within Cyst on right ovary has varied compared to previous Ultrasound Scan.

I have been referred to oncologist who will review my abdominal , TV ultrasound and advise on what to do next.

I am very scared, nervous and anxious about next steps.

Following are my queries :

1) Has anyone had surgery to remove ovarian cyst during second trimester ? What are the risks involved ?

2) Since the cyst size hasn't grown after monitoring over 1 month period, is it safe to wait it out till the delivery ?

3) Could baby size growing impact on cyst/ovary ?

4) Could there be a risk of ovarian torsion during normal delivery?

Please share if anyone has experience this ?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

wow schweta, doesnt sound fun. fingers crossed. your onc will have answers, i send you best wishes
  • Posted

Sorry you are going through this!

My experience was similar, but not completely the same..

I ended up with an emergency c-section when I had my second daughter. During the section, they found a very large (size of a large grapefruit) dermoid cyst on my left ovary. We didn't know it was there.

They removed the whole ovary.

The pregnancy didn't cause any problems with the cyst.

I now have a smaller dermoid on my remaining ovary..I did have a pregnancy last year, and drs told me to leave the cyst, as they are slow growing and shouldn't affect anything.

They checked the cyst numerous times and it never changed..unfortunately, I lost my daughter at 22 weeks. Totally unrelated to my cyst, so don't let that scare you!!!

I am now ttc again with the cyst, and we are going to leave it alone and not remove it until after I have a baby.

Every dr is different, so some will tell you to have them removed, and some won't, but in my experience with these types of cysts, they grow slow and don't change much with pregnancy.

Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.