Complex Ovarian Cyst- worried

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone. I am pretty nervous because about a month ago I started developing some symptoms that made me think I had an ovarian cyst. (Slight bloating, pelvic cramps, some lower right pain). I assumed it was a cyst, since I had one in the past that went away. I went to my gynecologist, and she found a complex cyst, between 4-5 cm, on my right ovary. She did not seem concerned, and believes it is a hemorrhagic cyst. She advised coming back in about 6 weeks to see if it had went away. At my request, she also did the CA-125 test, which came back normal (5). However, I know that test is not always the most accurate. At first I was fine with her plan, but then I began to get nervous as the symptoms seemed to continue and even get a little worse. (Some bowel issues, and also the weirdest symptom......a gurgling in my lower belly. Sometimes it even keeps me up at night!) Also, I feel like my appetite has definitely decreased. However, the bloating has since gotten better, and so far my stomach LOOKS normal.

So, I went back after about two weeks and told her that I still had concerns and was not comfortable "watching and waiting." She understood, and asked if I would like a second opinion with a gynecological-oncologist. I did, and I now have an appointment on Monday.

My biggest fear is that all roads seem to lead to ovarian cancer. Could a benign tumor be causing these symptoms?? My doctor said yes, but I am just so worried. I am 41, have one child, no history of cancers in the family, although I know that doesn't always matter.

If anyone has any positive thoughts or has gone through something like this, I would love to hear it. Thanks so much!

Heather

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Edited

Hi Heather,

The symptoms of IBS are the same as those you describe, including gurgling tummy. Over some months the Dr suspected IBS for me but also gave me a CA-125 test which came back showing raised levels. I had a fast track hysterectomy 3 weeks ago. My biopsy results came today..no cancer. However I still have IBS symptoms and am being treated for it. Try not to worry about it. And do check out NHS IBS site. Good luck hon.

• Posted

Honestly though I have never had symptoms of IBS before, so I really don't think it's that. It would be an awfully big coincidence to have that happen the same time of the cyst. I am wondering if maybe the cyst is pressing on my bowel or something?

• Edited

Hi

I had a complex cyst measuring 7 x 5 x 4 about 6 years ago. I was told it was probably cancerous, I had bloating, decreased appetite, bowel issues and severe pain. My CA125 levels were fine but I was also diagnosed with diverticular disease.

I had an ovary and tube removed but thankfully it was an endometrioma.

I think what I am trying to say is lots of things can mimic ovarian cancer and I know its easy for me to say don't panic.

But try and be calm..don't google as you will drive yourself mad and be convinced you have everything.

Deep breath, you've got this.

Axx

• Posted

i had all these same symptoms as you describe .. never in my life did i have such intense gurgling of my stomach it used to hurt me thats how intense it was. Did you get an MRI? this is the only way to rule out cancer (for the most part). they still warn you that they never know 100% until they biopsy it but my obgyn told me it was benign after my mri. i still had my cyst removed by a cancer surgeon though since mine was a dermoid cyst which is a benign tumor. 98% of dermoids are benign. she is asking you to watch and wait because the type of cyst you have usually goes away when your uterine sheds its lining. i also had a ca125 test and a tumor marker test 1st, a transvaginal and abdominal ultrasound, then the mri. the surgery was the best thing i ever did i was only in pain for about a month waiting for my surgery and it was the worst pain i ever had in my life.

• Posted

Thank you so much for this information. I have another appointment tomorrow and I am going to insist on more tests. I just have so many symptoms. Also so worried because it seems when you google, it says most benign cysts/tumors don't have any symptoms. Since I have so many, I am just paranoid that I have cancer. It is nice to hear that your story worked out so well. I really just want this out of me. I am also nervous because of Covid....I am afraid they won't be able to do anything for a while, and God forbid it's something serious.

• Posted

Hi Heather, Can I ask how it went for you? i have just been diagnosed with a complex cyst on my right ovary and am ridiculously worried.

• Posted

Hi there. It ended up being okay. I met with a surgeon who actually wanted to remove it. We had surgery scheduled, and then the cyst started to dissolve on its own. (They believe it was a hemorrhagic cyst). However, I then went back a few weeks after, and I had then developed a simple cyst on my right ovary, and another complex hemorrhagic on my left. I actually go back in two days to see if the cysts are still there. So depending on what the complex cyst is, it may be absolutely nothing to worry about. I had myself terrified that I had ovarian cancer, but it seems like it was absolutely nothing. Please let me know how it goes for you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.