Complicated Pseudomonas UTI

Posted , 3 users are following.

I contracted pseudomonas from either a catheter or surgery 10 years ago. Since then I was given every antibiotic under the sun to try and get rid of it. Within a few months it's back stronger than ever and also resistant to the antibiotic I took the previous time. I am down to 3 antibiotics left to treat it. I asked my ifectious disease doctor if I am going to die from this and she looks at me like I'm stupid and dismisses my question. This is a valid question. Why cant they find the source? Or even attempt to find the source. All they do is treat it and dont try to cure it. I have a medical record a mine long. 10 years of hospitalization, sepsis, I'm on my 6th picc line. It no longer responds to oral antibiotics, and I have only a few options left. No one wants to help me. They could honestly care less that I'm probably gonna die in my early 40's. It absolutely makes me sick. Considering i spend $6,000.00 out of pocket every year to treat this. You would think someone would be honest with you and make an attempt to find out where its colonizing. My whole kidney is scar tissue from constant kidney stones i get FROM THE INFECTION. Kidney stones i have to be hospitalized for and surgery every year to remove them! I have lost hope in having a normal life one day, lost faith in doctors, and medicine! I've been trying to get disability to help w medical Bill's and they deny me. I feel like I have the flu every day of my miserable life. I'm getting better at dealing with it...but I'm starting to give up. My next step....I'm going to demand they remove my left kidney where the infection lives. Probably lives in scar tissue. I really don't know for sure because nobody gives me a legit answer. I came up with that idea on my own! Someone please let me know if you are dealing with this as well. It's been 10 years of hell with no hope of an end. I need help please!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Really sorry to read about your problems & suffering. My years of frequent UTIs managed to escape your complications, although I have to self-catheterize,  but 3 things helped :  (1) a commonly prescribed antibiotic (sorry I f orget which one now)  in a very hig h dose,   (2) a bright nurse in the hospital clinic who asked "Are you certain you're emptying your bladder COMPLETELY ?"  and  (3) most of all:  METHENAMINE  HIPPURATE  [ = HIPREX ]  which I've been taking on prescription for several years.  It is not to be used by people with certain kidney problems so check it out first. 

Good Luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.