Complications after submandibular removal?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all, im new on here and wondering if anybody could help me out. When i was a child i developed swelling in my right submandibular gland, the doctor i saw had said it was probably scar tissue from glandular fever i had suffered earlier that year. Apart from being slightly enlarged it was not painful so it was put out of mind. About 5 years ago the same gland became extremely enlarged and painful, i saw a doctor and he sent me straight for a scan that showed my gland was very swollen and had at least one large "stone" inside the gland. The gland was also infected so i was put on antibiotics and referred to ENT at hospital. After another scan the ENT decided the best treatment would be to remove the submandibular gland. So 2 years ago i had my submandibular gland removed. The surgery was complication free and i healed quickly. I did have a lump that looked like a pimple develop under my tongue 6 months later and alot of little stone came out when it popped. Since then i have had no problems until now. Now i have pain running down the right side of my neck, up my jaw towards my ear and both in front and behind my ear. The pain also feels like it is coming from inside my throat and inner ear and there is also a lump inside my neck just towards the right side about half way down my neck that is swelling and now can be seen not just felt. Has anybody else had this? Could it be related to the removal of my submandibular gland or is it possibly a stone in another gland?

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Vicki,

Please get this checked out ASAP!! Also you might find the Facebook group ACC Warriors very helpful as I have. There are people in that group that can answer your questions. Good luck!

• Posted

I'm having the same issues , I have my gland removed in November. Within a month my neck started swelling and under my tongue, I have a few of those pimple like looking things which I believe are stones. There's quite a bit of pain all around my neck, shoulder, incision and chin. I had a CT done a few weeks ago of my neck and my lymph nodes are swollen on the side of my removal. I thought two EMTs they said that it was just showing signs that my body was fighting off something, but everything looks good. Very frustrating.....I look like I have 3 chins!! There's a few things I have noticed that reduce the swelling anabiotic's but the first day I'm off the swelling comes back. Hot compresses and massage.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.