Complications from elbow replacements?

Posted , 1 user is following.

For those of us who have gone through the elbow replacement process, I am wondering how many of you have had complicatrions and which complications. Has any one needed a revision and how did that go? If you didn't choose a revision and left it as is, how did that work out?

18 months after my R elbow replacement, I am suddenly having more "noise" in my elbow, even on minor movements in the braces, which I have been wearing  for over a year to provide  more stability  to my elbow. Then it started locking in a flexed position from time to time while carrying some weight (< 5 pounds of course!) From the beginning after this surgery, I was having a flop  I couldn't control of 30-40 degrees to the outside of my body while in the flexed position. My doctor called this a varus-vagus instability issue and said most replacements were supposed to have 7-10 degrees of movement side to side, but he wasn't sure why this was more because we used a component he was less familiar with due to my allergy to cobalt and chromium and a need for a all-titanium prosthesis. . I did gain full range of motion and no pain from the surgery, so we just thought this was a anomaly that I would live with and I was told to keep wearing my braces to stabilize it. Now, fast forward 1  1/2 years and the anomaly has become a problem causing what my doctors calls : "joint failure". HE THINKS SOME OF THE BUSHINGS HAVE MOVED OR BROKEN OFF, CAUSING THE METAL ON METAL SQUEAKING AND JOINT LOCKING i AM EXPERIENCING NOW. 

has this happened to anyone else? The recommended treatment is a revision surgery which m 

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.