Compressed Disc Cervical Spine

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi All, 

I'm just after a bit of advice and have found forums really useful in the past.  My other half had an accident at the back end of last year and as a result has a compressed / bulging disc in his neck / cervical spine.  The pain, over time has become considerably worse, to the point where he has been given Oromorph today.

Obviously this has made him very very drowsy and I now dont feel that I can leave him alone at the moment at all.  He is on many other painkillers too - all the usual ones.

We are waiting to see a consultant, and have an appointment in a few weeks.

My question is this though, as the Oromorph has made him so drowsy - is this just an initial effect, until it gets into his system properly, and how long will this last?  Up until yesterday he was able to do simple stuff (make a cup of tea, walk the dog) but now he can do nothing, and I would like to think that in a couple of days he will be able to do those things again.

Any advice or experience would be much appreciated, I have no experience of Oromorph so this is relativley new to me, although we've had this scenario years back with - for example Tramadol when he was first ever prescribed that.

Thanks very much

Becky

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Becky ~

I had cervical and spinal surgery for a fractured neck and broken back.  I was put on morphine and never got used to it.  It did take over my life.  I am now on Fentynal patches and feel like it's taking the brunt of the pain away along with spinal injections.  If he isn't feeling "normal" and able to do his routine by a week or two, I'd call that GP or whomever, and tell them what's happening and that he'd like a change of medication.  Believe me, I've been on many until they finally found the one that works w/o many side effects.  Perhaps that's what this doctor is doing so if you don't let him/her know w/i a week or so, they cannot monitor the drug or fix the problem.

I'm sorry he's in so much pain.  Has he seen a surgeon yet?  It may  be the road he's headed towards.  Don't fear that, it took all my pain and headaches away for a long time, until the second auto accident.  That's another story.

Best well wishes,

Frustrated

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply.

He's making slow progress,he initially was taking the maximum dose of morphine that the doctor prescribed, but, in order to get a balance between pain releif and lucidity we have decreased it gradually to the minimum dose.  He's much happier with this, more lucid and awake, and, although in pain, not in as much pain.

Fingers crossed I will be able to leave him for a few hours a day over the next week or so as he is now able to make his way slowly around the house and has managed to make and carry hot drinks :-D

We are seeing the consultant spinal surgeon on 18th May so hopefully then we can get some answers, and I do hope that they offer surgery.  He has had spinal surgery before in his lower back with great success, so again, everything is crossed!! 

• Posted

Hi Becky ,i had a Prolapsed Disk taken away in 2008 and it worked for a year untill i had a relapse of the same pain again ,this resulted in the lower spine being fused in 2014 ,which i had hoped would cure the problem as i was on a very heavy dose of oxycontin 220 mls per day, this amount of medication alone caused my Gallbladder to be removed in 2014 also , unfortunatley this hasnnt worked either and the pain remains not only in the left side but in the right side also now ,with numbness in my feet also , sometimes you have no option like myself and the pain beats you ,but if he can suffer the pain DONT let him have the op ,try patches they are not as severe as the tablets and dont make you as drowsey .
  • Posted

Thanks for your replies.  Tom - I'm so sorry to hear that you are still suffering :-(

We have seen the consultant today, and he was really nice.  He wasn't too pleased with the clarity of the MRI results and so has ordered another MRI and  a CT scan.  He will then be looking at surgical options or nerve root conduction studies dependant on the results.  

So, a little more waiting yet, but we have to keep plodding on!! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.