Compression stocking

Posted , 8 users are following.

I was given compression stockings after my very recent tkr but only for use on my unoperated leg. Is this normal or should I be wearing them on both? My operated leg is still pretty swollen. How long are they normally worn for?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I had tkr in April and I was advised had to wear compression stockings on both legs for 6 weeks only taking them for hour a day.

• Posted

i was advised to wear both 2 weeks post op and advised i could remove them at night if they were too uncomfortable to sleep with.

• Posted

It just seems so odd that I was given one to wear for the good leg but not the other, perhaps because it was so swollen and bruised. I needed 5 units of blood. I do have the other half of the pair so perhaps I will see if I can get it on. I am on Riveroxaban.

• Posted

i had both knees replaced in July and was told to wear them on both. my understanding is the less you move; the more you wear them...ie: wear them at night when you are still. i wore them for 2 weeks. seemed to help my knees feel "sturdier". I then only wore them at night since i was trying to keep moving during the day. i got compression tights. still not comfortable by they didn't roll down while walking. Good luck

• Posted

i think i would check w the surgeon first.

just say, you have heard from others. surgeon may have his/ her own rationale.

best of luck

• Posted

Yes that does seem odd. Is you operated knee very swollen my was and very bruised, but my surgeon was very clear I needed to wear them. The nurses helped put them on whilst in hospital, once home my husband helped me until the swelling had reduced somewhat, then I managed self. They are very uncomfortable but better to wear them then get a clot. Hope you are feeling better. This is a long road good luck. X

• Posted

I never wore those; wasn't told to ??

• Posted

I wasnt given any was given apaxiban a medication to stop blood clots and told to try to not sit longer than 2hours without mobilising except at night

• Posted

Yes I had them couldn't wear them at night.

far too uncomfortable they seemed to be doing more harm then good and we're cutting into my leg

• Posted

Thank you for all your replies, there seems to be quite a difference between people. I tried to get one on my operated leg yesterday but I wish I hadn't as it is still too swollen. I shall continue with the one leg until I am fully mobile.

• Posted

Suggest you check with your surgeon. I was told to wear compression stocking on my un-operated leg only for 28 days after my first TKR two years ago. Am currently five weeks post-op on the other knee and no stocking at all. Each person, leg and knee is different. Protocols differ and recommendations change. This is my U.K. NHS experience.

• Posted

That's interesting. I am also in the UK under the NHS. I have been told to wear it on the unoperated knee for 6 weeks. I am also taking 15mg Rivaroxaban which I am on for life because of a former saddle embolism. They are fully aware of my risk factors so I think it must be the protocol. My operated leg was badly bruised from top to bottom. Four weeks on a lot of it has dispersed. I am behind with my exercises because of other health factors not helped by catching Norovirus which is in the hospital. At the moment I can just manage 45 degrees. Now I am feeling better I shall work hard to catch up.

• Posted

Just realised that the angle I am aceiving is 90 degrees not 45.

• Posted

Hi, glad that you are feeling better, it sounds as though you have had a tough time. Do your exercises, but remember to be kind to yourself too😊. It will take as long as it takes to recover, but should be great when you get there. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.