Compression Stockings!!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all..

Silly question really... but how long do I keep these compression stockings on for? I had a discectomy/decompression on my L5/S1 17 days ago. It went well..but I'm having a dreadful aching pain all down the back of my leg.. which they think is nerve damage! But I've not been told how long to keep the stockings on for.! I've read up and it says until more active? I'm pottering about the house..but that's about it at the moment.! Any advice would be great. I don't mind wearing them at all..but would hate to take them off too soon!! Thankyou.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I think I was pretty over-cautious with mine.  I spent 4 weeks pretty much lying on my back as it was to uncomfortable to sit or stand for any long period of time.  I built up my walking from 10 minutes at around 7 days up to 35 minutes about 4 weeks in.  once i got the balance where I would spend more time moving around I took them off.  Ask your physio what 'until more active means'.  

• Posted

They normally recommend 6 wks post op that's what I had to do .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.