Compression stockings

Posted , 6 users are following.

I gave had a total knee replacement . I have to wear these stockings ffor another month and then I have to have my other knee done. The NHS  ones are so uncomfortable and cut into the top of my legs or roll down and cut in around the knee . I do have big thighs , but it seems even on smaller ladies the same happenned. I have bought one pair of thigh high stockings and although better are still not comfortable and cut in around the top, although I measured carefully .Has anyone tried the stockings wuth waist attachment ( I don't fancy tights) . These are expensive but if they are comfy it will be worth it . Any advice please? 

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Morning,

Whilst I can't offer any advice regarding alternative stockings, I have every sympathy. I am 4.5 weeks into wearing them after a tkr and they are miserable things to wear, especially in these temperatures.  Last night was almost unbearable and I was on the verge of pulling the pigging things off.  Putting them on has almost caused a divorce between my husband of 40 years and myself.  Another tkr when I'm ready, but can't even contemplate it at the moment.

Good luck in finding substitute stockings!  Lynn

• Posted

Yes I have in taken mine off a couple of times in the night as they drive me mad. Left them off a couple of hours .12 days after op my knee settled and is doing really well , up until that time I thought the same as you , I am not going through this again. Terrible allergy to a med, has me covered  in hives so you can imagine stockings as well. Lol .its the cutting around the tops of the legs that really bothers me . I just don't want to waste £70 if they are no good .. Hope you feel getter soon, us it pain that us bothering you? 
    • Posted

Lynn, I'm sorry to hear that the stockings have caused such a problem for you and your marriage. My husband and I struggled to get mine on and off many times and he couldn't understand why I hated them so much. I was very happy to see the day arrive when I could throw them away!
  • Posted

I am only 4ft 11 ins and have small legs but they still cut in at the knee.  How can this be good when trying to avoid the dreaded DVT?  I will persist until 6 weeks though and then have a ceremonial burning!  Haven't even been able to wear any decent shoes because stockings won't allow and heavy trainers have just made me hotter!

Pain mostly under control with medication and regular icing, but last night was pretty uncomfortable for some reason.  I am so frustrated with such slow progress and that every morning I feel I'm back to square 1.  Have certainly had several occasions when I wish I'd never had it done, but realistically had no choice.

• Posted

Sorry you are getting pain. I am only 21/2 weeks in , still using ice and doing lots of exercising but very little pain relief now. I am sure I will have more as I do more . I am sure it won't be too long before we can compare our second lol 
  • Posted

I was very naughty, I gave up after 3 weeks.  Iwa giving myself injections anyway and was moving around a lot. i am not sayinf that I recommend taking stockings off, but i did.  

• Posted

Pam, I'm not much help but you can usually find reviews online so maybe find as many as you can and see if any of them compare their products to the ones you have. Also things are different here in the US but we have medical supply stores that carry stockings so if you have those, I would call them and ask how well they work compared to what you have. You just don't want to get one that is of lesser quality and doesn't do what it's supposed to do or is just as irritating as the one you have (obviously). 
    • Posted

I have researched that they are equal compression , so I don't think there is a problem there . I manage getting them on and off, although not easy .its the cutting in around the top that really bothers me .i do have big thighs. The one I have seen are on all day long site thigh stockings with added waist band . They do tights but I didn't like tights the first time round the way they could slip down lol. These are like 2 half pairs of tights . It would mean two waist bands , but apart from a small part on inside of leg there is nothing to cut in.... With needing the second knee done soon I feel I would get yes out of them, if they are good . Maybe someone could have a look and give me your thoughts . Thank you 
  • Posted

Hi, I have had a tkr and in week 14 now. I can asure you the pain does get better. I too struggled with those blumming stockings but persevered. When I went to physio I got talking to a lady who had had her op at the same time as me. She took her stockings off after 3 weeks. I was too frightened in case something happened. I am going abroad in 5 weeks and have bought flight socks. Good luck just persevere. Six weeks isnt long in the scheme of things. One tip is to put cream on your legs before trying to put them on and do your bad leg first.
    • Posted

That's what I think , I will persevere , stockings and  injections . Not worth the risk I don't think. Enjoy your holiday 
  • Posted

There is a roll on glue that is used by costume people for ensuring stockings etc can't roll down. I was put onto it by the stocking fitter (here in Perth you have a referral to get properly fitted in compression stockings) and it certainly works. It's not a problem to get off - just warm soapy water does it. You could try that?

• Posted

Thank you, I have seen that advertised I wondered if it worked. I will order some 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.