Compression Stockings

Posted , 11 users are following.

Since my TKR eleven days ago my compression stockings have been tight especially on the operated knee. They were remeasured in hospital and are the correct size. On the swollen knee the top rolls over and digs a band into the knee making it more uncomfortable than it already is. I have just taken them off for half an hour and it's bliss.There is a deep mark round my keg, just under the knee, where the stocking was digging in. Surely this is not good for circulation.

Has anyone else had this problem? I have to keep them on for over four weeks more yet.

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi

this is one of the things you told get told! My TKR was a year ago now but I still remember how uncomfortable those socks are.

try to ice around those tight areas. Remember that as the swelling goes down they become more comfortable. Sorry I can't be more constructive but it does get better

• Posted

Sorry but the first line should read you don't get told!

• Posted

must have been incorrectly measured or wrong size given. You are lucky not to have suffered a deep vein thombosis. You need a re measurement and bigger stocking  No compression stocking should leave a ridge around your lg. I am a retired nurse. I am unsure as to whether you actually ned a stocking others on here are more knowedgeable about that than myself.
  • Posted

That sounds horrendous....why stockings only to the knee? I am 7 days post op but have thigh length stockings which are quite comfortable. I had the same full length stockings three years  ago as well so I just assumed that was the norm(uk).
  • Posted

Hi, When I had my first knee done three years ago, I was told to wear them for six weeks.

When I had my second one done a year ago, my surgeon had decided they were not needed after the first two days as long as I kept moving.

It was miles better without them,

• Posted

I agree they can cause more problems than they solve.
  • Posted

I did after 4 weeks had a ridge where stockings were so phoned hospital they told me to take them off as we're doing more harm than good. Phone your hospital see what they suggest good luck

• Posted

I saw nurse for a dressing change 1 week after my pkr and she told me not wear it on my operated leg, the swelling went down within the hour and the stocking was preventing the bruise from spreading so was obviously stopping my circulation, my knee was much more comfortable and I believe recovered better without, I continued wearing it on my unoperated leg for 4 weeks though I don't know if there was any point, I did have injections as well! Definitely ask for further advice from hospital,

Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you for your help.I've taken off the one on my operated leg and it feels so much more comfortable. The part were it was digging in was becoming irritated and adding to the discomfort. 

I am also having the injections so should be OK for now.

I'm going to try to see the doctor in the morning for advice and a pain control review. 

Great! My leg can breathe again and it feels cooler. 

• Posted

Yes ....this is common. Do the allow you to take them off at night? Check with your surgeon as i think most everyone is allowed some time without them. I was always allowed to have them off at night when I could have my leg elevated.

When you take them down a little, massage the area with your fingertips and put an icepack on the back of the knee

• Posted

I was so lucky didn't have to wear the rotten things .. they had my feet in special things that kept the blood flowing while I was in hospital .. thank goodness my next knee is being done in same hospital!  Plus I had to have daily injections for clots for 4 weeks instead of wearing stockings which I made my husband give me as no way could I inject myself.  I don't think I could've put up with keeping the stockings on for 4 wks .. so glad I had the foot pumps in hospital and injections.  Were you sent home with injections for clots?

Cheers Tracey

• Posted

Yes tijim I was sent home with injections as well for two weeks.I also had the foot pumps on for a few hours immediately after the op. 

Keeping that one off now until I see the doctor hopefully later today. I have just had a four hours sleep without it and its good to wake up and not feel so uncomfortable with it. I still have the knee pain but that is to be expected.

• Posted

Hi, I didnt have the compression stockings either, but had the foot pumps on every night whilst in hospital and also had the injections for clots to do for 14 days. Hope you can get sorted later today when you see the doctor.
  • Posted

Doctors have different thoughts on the compression socks. I had my surgery in India by the head of the orthopedic department. He was against the use of compression socks. But one of his collegues was. From all I've heard, I think I'm glad I didn't use them.

-Mo

• Posted

I've managed to get a larger pair of stockings from the hospital. They are much better.

Whilst I had the offending stocking off the black/blue bruising gradually faded away overnight.Not completely but the bruising is a lot less now. The top of the stocking was definitely affecting my circulation. Thank you all for your support.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.