Compression Stockings and skin degrading.

Posted , 11 users are following.

I was ordered to wear these horrible things for 6 weeks. Only allowed to take them off one hour a day so the skin wouldn't "degrade". Well, once I stopped wearing them my skin started falling off, peeling and wrinkled. I put lotion on, even Vasoline but nothing works. I guess I just need to scrub the skin harder but I hesitate to get rough with it. Did anyone have trouble with their skin after weeks in compression stockings?

3 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Your experience sounds very unpleasant! I, too, am in the US and only had to wear TED hose for 2 weeks, and only during the day. So I had no skin problems from wearing them. I wonder at how expensive yours were - they are easily ordered from Amazon for $9 or $10 a pair. I had two pairs and alternated, washing one pair each day. 
    • Posted

The ones I had, mid thigh with the triple elastic bands... wore them for minimum of 6 weeks. They were by Prescription only. I had to get them from a medical supply house, with certain tightness, size, etc.. that's where they were $90/ I said forGET that! I never thought about looking for a second pair online. I guess I thought they were "prescription" and different qualities for everyone, like glasses. At least it's all over and I can maybe what? Put my used ones on Ebay? biggrin
    • Posted

Wow, your doctor was really serious about the TEDs! Ha ha about eBay, and I am sure someone would buy them! It is really important to have TEDs be the right size, as if they are too small your legs get horribly squeezed, and too loose and they do no good at all. Hope your skin gets better soon!
    • Posted

The people that make these elastic stockings are also making a killing when they bill your insurance company. 
  • Posted

I am so glad to hear that l am not the only one to be losing my hair after op. I have noticed everytime l wash it big clumps fall out enough to blovk my drainhole after one wash. Its been happening since my op and l don't understand how l have any hair left on my head. My hair has become so fine now.oys only shoulder lenthm this must be to do with the trauma my bodys gone through. The last time thid happened to me was whe l was very very ill over 10 years ago and l was left with very little hair. I got it all cut shott and stated again.

However it does not end there l have my 2nd hip replacement a week on monday so it just gonna het worrse again. I plan to have it all cut into asf

• Posted

Hello again... I had sent a message to the Moderator asking if they could post two links I have on thinning hair due to stress and how to prevent hair loss from stress. I hope he does. I think more people than we know lose a scary amount of hair and don't know why. 
  • Posted

Oops l sent that mrsssge before l finished it about my hair. I plan to have it cut into a a short bob after thats if l have any left by the end of recovery. It must be our bodys way of coping with the trauma. But l thought it was only me il was happening to. X
    • Posted

I know I can't add links but there are some good sites that describe exactly why you lose hair, and some even have pictures. You know that site **WikiHow** "How to do anything?"  - There is an excellent article on Prevent Hair Loss Due to Stress. Has a lot of good information. No, not just you. It's happened to me once before and I hope ( as it seems to be ) it runs the same course. You only suffer for a few months. I also thought of buying a "wig" and went to a high end wig shop. The only problem is that the real human hair wigs are SO expensive, but looked so good and natural. If I didn't do that, I also thought of getting a close shave. I've always liked being bad, it's fun! 
    • Posted

I cut my hair about 6 weeks before my op. I had been dyeing at home since I was sixteen and was aware that my roots were quite pale.

The arthritis stopped me bending over and because of the upcoming op I handed the clippers to my partner and he hacked off 20 inches of hair!!!.

I am growing out my crop now and have five inches of pure white natural hair - I love it!

If I lost any hair after the op then I didn't notice because it was only about a quarter of an inch long!!

• Posted

Wow, a quarter of an inch? I'd sorta like to try that look but many people can't pull that look off. I think white hair is so pretty. My grandmother had pure white hair, My mother's hair was just a pale brown with a lot of gray, Mine? I've been coloring it so long, I'm really not sure what color it is. 
    • Posted

Hah, I had some tentative questions as to whether I was having cancer treatment but on the whole a very positive response, my partner loves it. It is so much easier and kind of heralded in a new life with me new hips (one week to go for second hip)
    • Posted

I have a friend that was just the same way about his wife. She *did* have cancer and instead of having lumps here and there she had it shaved. He thought she was hot, hot, hot. "Looks great with big hoop earrings" He is probaby 65 or older. Started texting me photos of girls with shaved heads. LOL I thought about it, but I'm ashamed to say the "cancer" stigma worried me too. I didn't want people to look at me with pity. My mom went through all that when she had cancer. She just wore those turbans and didn't care. She was so funny, she wouldn't wear a bra, so one side of her chest was flat and the other was a droopy, large boob with a nipple showing. She said "I don't care what other people think!" On special occasions she'd poke me and say "I'm wearing my boob" Obviously they are heavy and uncomfortable. How did this go from bald heads to boobs?LOL
    • Posted

I was told once by a doctor that we sort of deaden ourselves for surgery and that is why we lose hair.  But I cannot remember if that was just with using a general anesthesia.  I had five major surgeries and one minor one within a four year period, so I am amazed that I have any hair left!  Luckily mine was very thick to begin with.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.