Compression Stockings and skin degrading.

Posted , 11 users are following.

I was ordered to wear these horrible things for 6 weeks. Only allowed to take them off one hour a day so the skin wouldn't "degrade". Well, once I stopped wearing them my skin started falling off, peeling and wrinkled. I put lotion on, even Vasoline but nothing works. I guess I just need to scrub the skin harder but I hesitate to get rough with it. Did anyone have trouble with their skin after weeks in compression stockings?

3 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I am almost 2 weeks post op. Never had to wear the stockings. I guess each region / country has different procedures. However, from what I have read I am very glad that I have not had to wear

them!

• Posted

Hi luvinlex,

I stopped wearing them early.  No complaints from any medical people.  I was told to pump my ankles and squeeze my buttocks several times an hour, along with blood thinner, to avoid blood clots.  However, it is important to do what your individual doctor says to do.  It looks like you have a lot of great advice here on how to maintain your skin. 

I don't know about anyone else, but I notices changes in my hair and skin all over just from the anesthesia.  The stuff they rubbed my whole leg with to sanitize the area before beginning surgery dried my skin out also.

• Posted

My hair literally fell out. I had gobs and gobs of hair in a large ziplock bag so I could show people. I ended up having to get my hair cut shorter and it now feels thicker and in such better shape. My hair fell out only once before, and that was a few months after my mother died. It's related to stress and trauma. Also, nutrition, hormones, crash dieting, I showed it to my GP and she said "the stress and trauma you've been through" showed it to my ortho and he said "Hmmm, wonder what caused that?" Seems he would know. He was also suprised when I told him I went through a bout of depression, my GP again told me, it's normal after a major surgery. Her being female... might make a difference. Would love to post photos of my hair if you don't mind. ;-) First is the hair that fell out when I washed it the second time post op, all of it at once! My new short haircut, and my horrible stringy, thin, hair that also needed color! 
    • Posted

Wow!  For me it seemed that the left side of my head lost the most hair and is not much thinner.  Also the hair down the center of the back of my head became brittle and broke off easily.  I trimmed a total of 4 inches off and still could not get rid of the dry straw feeling.  I wear mine long and want to keep it long.  I virtually stopped blow drying my hair and began to do the old fashioned wet set with rollers, clips and sitting underneath a hair dryer.  It works well for me.

I suspected that the back of my hair was the worst because that is where the most natural curl is and laying around in bed too much was not good for it.

I am glad that your new cut made the difference for you and it looks good!

• Posted

I found that the skin on my legs and feet went really dry too and flakey and l have not got dry skin. I would use coconut oil and moisturisor but they never got any better. Now l have stopped wearing them my legs are back to normal. I think its just something we have to put up with x
    • Posted

What would we call that? A "First World Problem?" wink

"OOh, my legs are so totally dry after I had my $35,000 surgery to make me more comfortable..." LOL

• Posted

Sorry to but into your conversation. But did you say your hip

operation cost 35,000 US dollars? If it did then thank goodness that here in the UK we have the NHS!

All the best

David

• Posted

Indeed it did. My Insurance deductible for the year needed to be paid, so that was $1260.00 Surgeon fee $5000 Surgeon assistant $1200

Anesthesia $1440 A doctor (GP) that "saw me" twice and I don't have any memory of $800. One night in the hospital $1500 The implant itself was $17,000  - that's $30K just off the top of my head. After the deductible of $1260 is paid, the Insurance allows only so much it will pay, then I have to pay 20% out of pocket which was around $7000. Thank goodness I have a very wealthy and generous ex husband. He picked up all the expenses including walker, bathroom items, new nightgowns, exercise gear, and will pay for PT when that's over. Phew. Yes, the healthcare system here forces many, many people into filing for bankruptcy protection from those they owe. Sad situation. Wipes out savings. Money for old age. Then, what happens if another major surgery is needed? Some people just go without. I know my Mom didn't want to pay for mammograms, and she ended up with metastatic breast cancer. She was clean after 5 years, but she was trying to watch her nickels and dimes. If you are poor or middle income, you are in big trouble. If you have a fancy insurance plan, you'll do OK, but you'll pay out the a** to have it. Don't get me started on the cost of medicines... 

• Posted

Hi Luvinlex

Wow. Here in the UK I had my surgery done in a private hospital

but it cost me nothing because like many others I am an NHS

patient.

If I were you I would consider letting the UK press know your

story. It would help recoup some of your costs and also let

people in this country realise how lucky we are to have the NHS.

It's not surprising so many people want to come and live here!

• Posted

I would hate to shame Obama, I like and respect him too much. Really, Obamacare has nothing to do with this. It's for the very poor, and affords them free healthcare through the state that takes money offered by the government. The states, mostly southern redneck ones, hate him so much, they refused to take the money and instead leave their populations without this option. I'd be more than happy to talk to the press, show my bills, my deductible, co-pays. Also, the cost of prescription drugs is criminal. Canada has a good healthcare system. Why can't we see what is obviously working for other countries and do the same here. I'm scared of Donald Trump, he hates the poor and he won't be supporting programs that help this population. Hospital Bill>>>>Donald Trump ??? How did that happen? 
    • Posted

Gosh, mine was $64,000.00!  I think because it was a revision and required a whole lot of extra work.  And it was my third hip replacement in a relatively short period of time.
  • Posted

Hi Luvinlex , 

No compression stockings for me either - Just 6 weeks of self-injecting bloodthinner, doing ankle/foot pumps , go to the bathroom, walk around etc .

Do they fit well - I understand that that is very important - 

be gentle with your skin - I wouldn't scrub it - just give i a good rub and moisterize...

Warm welcome to our wonderful forum where you can come back anytime you have a question or concern, or just want to rant or tell your story ...

You won't find more understandig and loving hippies anywhere  ... and you know what,  our eyes will not glaze over, nor will we sigh  - we have been there,done that and repeat ..

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

This is the BEST discussion I've ever had on any subject! Can we stay on topic forever? You are such a loving and fun crowd! I found some "Johnson's Baby Oil Gel" with Chamomille and Multi Vitamin Complex. 

( concentrated for extra moisturizing ) Sound good? LOL 

• Posted

You are right, this is a really good crowd on this forum.

I have been using 'acqueous cream' on my scar from 3 weeks, at my wife's insistence.  I don't think it makes too much difference what you use, just something that will help the skin stay supple and help you not to 'pull' the skin when rubbing it.

Graham

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.