Concealing Fistula Leakage and Odor - Suggestions?

Posted , 4 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hello,

35, male

I developed a fistula when I was about 15 years old.  One night I woke up due to a sharp pain at the base of my tailbone. and felt the abscess.  It wasn't diagnosed until I was 32 about 3 years ago because other than that one sharp pain and the odd blister that was back there, it never bothered me again. 

It occurred at the very top of the groove between the buttocks. 

Unfortunately, in the past 4 years or so, the fistula has begun to leak profusely.  It's almost as if it "sweats" and I can feel the fluid at the very top of the buttock where the fistula is leaking down into the rest of the buttock groove.  Because of it, I leave a noticeable odor on any chairs that I sit in, and develop wet stains on all of my pants near the top.  The stain is noticeable on my pants and embarrassing, so now I only where dark clothing.  The odor is even more noticeable, as it lingers on my clothing.  I notice it every time I get up from a sitting position.  If I notice it, others must notice it too, and it is incredibly embarrassing.

I have tried:

1) Powder - the powder quickly congeals and does not stop the odor or "sweating"

2) Vaseline/Petroleum Jelly - temporary solution ineffective after about an hour or two.  Odor and wetness occur, only slightly delayed.

3) Bundled tissues/toilet paper - this works sometimes, but the bundled tissue shifts and moves throughout the day and does not stay on or over the fistula

4) Body spray - unfortunately the odor of the fistula discharge is stronger.

Does anyone have any suggestions for concealing odor and wetness?  It will be some time before I can go in for surgery.   

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

My goodness, I have had an unhealing perianal abscess wound for 4 years and exactly the same happens to me. I completely feel for you it's awful it genuinely changes your lifestyle. I'm female and over the years I have found the best thing that helps is wearing the extra Tena pads. These do help a bit and I'm afraid that is the only advice I can give you apart from don't use Talc because it will clog everything up making it a lot more easier to get abscesses.

hope this helps 

• Posted

You need to wear feminine pads at all times.  It sucks, but the alternative is worse. Change them frequently to avoid odor.
    • Posted

As I said above, you are right, it's true especially for you men, it really does suck and it's bloody expensive!! But it does work. The lady incontinence ones are best because they are bigger 

• Posted

Hello,

Are you able to have a bath using epsom salt? This will help to keep the area that is draining cleaner and might help with the drainage. You can get small potty like baths to sit your b.u.m. in but it sounds like yours is quite high up. Your local nurse might be able to give you some tubes of saline you can squirt into it and these you can use away from home too. The other thing is to get the nurse to also give you some square gauze and low tack medical tape to tape it on to you. Changing these regularly will help too. you should not have to pay for these but I know some people do. Amazon will have all the necessaries. 

Also do you eat much veg? How much sugar is in your diet. Cut out the latter and increase the former if you can. this will help your immune system to fight the infection. Even for a short time until you go in for surgery, doing this is not easy but it will most certainly not do you any harm. Any other questions please ask. Good luck. 

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up