Concentric ring dysphotopsia in multifocal iol

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been implanted multifocal toric iol for 6 months in both eyes. I have concentric rings dysphotopsia. They originate from light sources in low lighting, but are not centered on the light source (like a halo would be). I can have them all over my field of vision at night, all snapping to larger and smaller sizes, all sourcing from a light point and all moving with every moving light source. It's like light reflected on the edges of the optic (rings)

Using pilocarpine or brimonidine it shrinks your pupils temporarily. It works perfectly! The concentric circles disappear completely!. It only lasts a few hours. I'm wondering if the problem is due to the lens edge or lens optic. Please help.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I have a Symfony lens, which is a little different from the usual multifocal lenses in that it has about 10 circular “diffractive echelette design” in the lens. Many of us using this lens see  about 10 multiple annoying circles around lights at certain distances at night. This is definitely due to the lens design since the number of circles seen around the light correspond to the number of circles in the lens design.

I just put up with this annoyance.

My guess is that if my eyes had less contrast capability, the ability to see these circles would go down. May be in your case, using pilocarpine or brimonidine, which shrinks your pupils temporarily, results in reduced contrast capability and less seeing of the concentric circles.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I can see the concentric rings AROUND light, as you said (sometimes they looks like a spiderweb), but I was talking about a differet annoyange: the light reflect my rings and I can see this reflection around the optic rings. It's actually very hard to explain because usually people think they are the classic rings-halos around the light, I can see rings of various dimension moving up and down on my vision field but when the light comes from up or from the side of my eyes.

• Posted

Yes. The moving of the circles when the light comes from up or side is definitely different from what I see.

Just as a matter of curiosity, which multifocal toric lenses do you have? And what does your surgeon have to say about this?

• Posted

At Lisa Zeiss. The surgeon says "it will go away with time"...

• Posted

It's been almost a year since my surgery and I have rings and halos. Night vision is bad! Wanted to have lens replacement. but before I knew what I had,2nd op did YAG so I could not have the lens replaced. Don't let them do YAG. Drops work but don't let your brain adjust to the rings,drops are only a bandaid. I only use them if absolutely necessary. I wanted to find out more about piggyback len but haven't , no one seems to much! I haven't don't it yet. Dr said didn't know if it would even work.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.