Concern about the Thyroid Gland of My Mom

Posted , 2 users are following.

My Mom get her ultrasound result and it state that.

The left thyroid lobe is enlarge relative to the right, right lobe measures 4.4 x 1.4 x 1.5 cm, left lobe measures 5.1 x 3.2 x 3.1 cm, exhibiting a heterogeneous parenchyma.

There is a large predominantly solid mass occupying almost the entire left lobe, calcification at its upper half but does not show vascularity. The lower half of the mass is homogeneous in appearance but shows increase in vascularity, with isthmus is unremarkable measure 4mm.

The submandibular and parotid glands are unremarkable.

There is no cervical lymphadenopathy.

My concern is this:

What is the best thing to do in this situation?

Is this so Harmful if the entire Thyroid Glands are affected?

Thank you for taking time to read my concern.

God Bless.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi cin dy beb,

It might be a good idea for them to do a fine needle biopsy just to rule out anything that might be serious. Is she on thyroid hormone already? Does the enlargement make her uncomfortable? If a fine needle biopsy comes back normal and she is not having severe problems they will probably watch it.

• Posted

Yes Ma'am Melissa my Mom already feel discomfort.Because of this enlargement in her throat. Actually, She said that when she Lying on the bed with her right side she feels comfortable but in her left side she felt like being choked. My Mom had this kind of disease 12 years until now but her throat doesnt show more that the size of chicken egg. instead it steady on that size and there are times that it became small.

• Posted

I am sorry about that! I understand how that felt. I would have constriction and couldn't wear anything around my neck at all. And occasionally I would get throbbing in n my front part of neck also. I had to convince them to remove my thyroid. They didn't know that it was cancer till they removed the thyroid and did pathology

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.