Concern with steroids

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello, I was diagnosed with PMR by my Dr in Oct 2014. The only reason she came to the conclusion of PMR is because i had muscle soreness, but most importantly I mentioned that I occasionally get a sharp pain along my temple now and again and she was concerned about GCA. Obviously I want to feel better again, but the thought of taking steroids scares me. Because of this, I haven't taken them, but have instead taken Magnesium and Vit D, along with Devils Claw. I'm not in pain constantly, but I do feel stiff when getting up from a chair etc...

My concern about taking steroids is what damage would these drugs be doing to my body in the future ? I'm a 57 yr old woman, feeling old, where all my life I have looked and felt young.

Can anyone advise please ?

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

lyndsey   just to cheer you up a bit i have been on steroids 5 years now down to  3.5

pred     and one of the lucky ones who havent  had any side effects  at all.  that i have noticed.  and i bet i am not the only one.  so keep smileing  its not all bad this

medication.  would rather have that and take a chance, than the   horrible  pain of pmr.

• Posted

Thanks Pauline. I've taken my dosage that Dr said I should take 2hours ago and already feel immensely better.

I didn't realise how much pain I was in. I really only thought it was aches and pains from a knee injury I sustained last year..... feel a little foolish now.

• Posted

No need for that! Most people are scared of pred - even the doctors! I don't think anyone realises just how bad they are until they don't hurt as much. It's like banging your head against a brick wall - the relief when you stop is fantastic!

Lots of people say much the same sort of thing when they reduce too fast/too far and have a flare. They may have been desperate to get off pred before but they see it all a different way afterwards.

Now you feel better - DON'T go off and catch up on all the cleaning you haven't been doing. Because if you do - you'll find it hurts again and you'll think the pred isn't working. Pacing yourself and resting appropriately is now the order of the day. It will take a few weeks until you feel at your best and even then it may not be 100% - you have to do your bit too. The underlying disorder is still there, your muscles are still delicate and the fatigue won't go yet. So behave yourself!

• Posted

Well done Lyndsay, I feel you have done the right thing. Hang on a few more hours and you will feel even better!
    • Posted

Thank you Eileen. I shall behave myself and refrain from rushing about etc..

It wasn't until I had read other discussions, that I realised how serious PMR is. I've been treating as though it was similar to aches and pains when I've had a bad cold.

I'm extremely grateful to you and everyone who took the time to advise and support me.

I'm so glad I joined this forum 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.