concerned about Alendronic Acid

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with polymyalgia 6 weeks ago and have been told to take Alendronic acid I have put off taking it but spoke to go yesterday and she advised me to start taking it because of the  effect of the predisilone on my bones I'm 72 yrs old been reading up on this drug again tonight and don't like what I'm reading was going to start taking tomrrow but I am very unsure has anyone got any advice

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello, I'm 67 and have been prescribed Alendronic Acid by my GP for osteoporosis. Like you I'm not at all sure about taking it. The side effects put me off, especially the fact that it can actually cause fractures, though this is a very low risk. I would also be pleased to hear any advice.

• Posted

I am 65 and decided to take this albeit in an annual infusion form as I didn't take to the weekly tablets. I feel it does more good than harm but it has differing opinions. Most drugs have their bad points especially methotrexate etc. I found I was given far too much prednisone steroid over the years which has caused far more damage to my body than alendronic ever will!

• Posted

Do you know what degree of osteoporosis you have?  Research has shown that the correct combination of micronutrients can be as effective as medication in reversing osteoporosis, and no side effects.  
    • Posted

Thanks for this. Yes I do have a copy of the report and "off the top of my head" I have a 13% risk for a fracture in the next 10 years. I'm due for a repeat bone density scan in 2 years. I so much prefer the idea of a natural means of improving things or, at least, stopping things from getting worse. I shall be googling micronutrients and shopping accordingly! I very much appreciate this information.

• Posted

I'll private message my bibliography to get you started!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.