Concerned about Bowel symptoms

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am a middle aged woman who tested positive in the Bowel cancer screening test 7 weeks ago. I am booked in for a colonoscopy, but have to wait another 5 weeks due to the time of year. At first I took this in my stride as I was not symptomatic.

BUT what happened next has me an anxious wreck.

Over the past 5 weeks, I have constant irritable bowels, all sorts of bowel movements, including stools streaked with blood. Bright blood on the toilet paper. Constant discomfort including shooting pains into my bowel. 

Friends and family tell me to relax but it’s impossible when being bombarded by symptoms.

I have to put up with this for another 5 weeks. It’s the anxiety that hurts the most.

From what I have read bowel cancer symptoms are not discernible from polyps and haemorrhoids. I have not lost weight.

Can anybody offer me a reassuring word ?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Vanessa:

Yes the agony of not knowing.... I am dealing with a GI issue (mucus, blood, gas, change in Bowel habits) as well.

The problem with symptoms is they are nagging and they prevent you from feeling normal so when people suggest you take a breath and relax - it kinda falls on deaf ears unless the person telling you has dealt with the same issue.  Even then it maybe difficult.  

So my best advice is to think factual.

- your symptoms are suggestive of a range of outcomes- remind yourself of that.

- Bowel cancer impacts a low percentage of people - look at the stats.

- you were proactive and engaged. People go years ignoring symptoms.  You are very aggressive if your investigation- which is awesome.

Did you do any blood work (were you anemic).

Is there any family history of polyps or any other GI issues?

Stress and age does a number on the colon and you can develop many things like colitis etc which as you know present as you have.

Think big picture and ask yourself - do I feel I’ll outside of my symptoms down below?  Are you a generally healthy person (active, non smoking, eat well) all reasons to dismiss the worst case.

• Posted

Thanks Patrick,

Yes it’s the not knowing!  No I am definitely not one to bury my head in the sand.

Your reply is much appreciated. You are right of course, and I was not anemic March of this year so that’s a good sign.

I hope all goes well with you too and that we can find a way to live with uncertainty for a while.

• Posted

Hello Vanessa, This happened to my husband a year ago.He had a colonoscopy and it was bowel cancer which hadn't spread thankfully.He had an operation on December 5th last year and is doing well.He didn't need any further treatment and has scans or blood tests every 6 months.

I understand your anxiety as I get very stressed before each check up.

• Posted

Hi all,

I posted the original concern so I wanted to post the follow up for those in a similar predicament in the future.

The colonoscopy diagnosed a large rectal polyp that was unable to be removed in the colonoscopy due to it’s size. The doctor reported a 20 percent chance of it being malignant . It wasn’t the worst news but it wasn’t exactly music to my ears !

I had a 10 day wait from hell for the biopsy results and it was negative for cancer. It’s great news but what an ordeal. I was shaking in the waiting room in the doctors office.

I still have to go through the awful prep again for it to be removed as it was precancerous. Another procedure etc.

I really don’t care. Just happy to have dodged a bullet by getting the colonoscopy.

Don’t delay people. Get the colonoscopy. If I had waited it eventually may have become cancer.

The anxiety is totally the worst part.

Thanks to those who responded and good luck to future readers who are worried. It’s pretty harsh stuff but you get through it .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.