Concerned about Bunion and hammer surgery.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I need hammertoe and bunion surgery on both feet. My doctor wants to do the surgeries 1 week apart, but from what I've been reading, I don't know if I I should. How will I be able to move to get to the bathroom etc.?

Also have any women that have undergone this surgery ever go back to wearing high heel shoes? I realize that will take a while, but I'm hoping I can wear them again. The main reason that I want to do this surgey is so that I am not in pain when wearing shoes, if I won't be able to wear them, than what's the sense. H

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello Maria,

I am 10 weeks post op from bunion and hammertoe surgery. I do not recommend both feet at one time. I don't know how you would manage. The bunion was not so bad, but the hammertoe was complex and they had to cut my foot on the top and bottom. The bottom has built up scar tissue and is still very painful. I do not have full range of motion for either my big toe ( for the bunion surgery ) or the hammer toe. I went for a second opinion yesterday and the doctor is working with me to try to get the scar tissue broken up by massaging. My foot is still swollen enough that I can't wear most of my normal flats. Heels would be out of the question yet. There are several ladies I work with who have had just bunion surgery and they said it took about a year for the swelling to all go away. And, the swelling still comes back at times if you are on your feet alot. I hope all goes well for you with your surgery.

• Posted

Your holiday shoes are cute!!! Are you still having to keep your big toe seperate at 10 weeks as I'm wearing splints and I'm finding them really uncomfortable.. Also every time I take them off to shower my big toe pops back to where it was? At least you are escaping this vile weather.
  • Posted

Maria,

The picture was not of my holiday shoes - I think it was another conversation smile I did not get splints for my toe. In fact, my big toe is more to the left now. Not a lot, but when there is no swelling ( which is not often ) then there is probable about a 1/2 inch space between the big toe and hammertoe.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.