Concerned about infection

Posted , 7 users are following.

Tkr post op 3 weeks tomorrow, today my scar and right hand side of knee very red and hot. Scar is also 'stingy', I am concerned that I may have the start of an infection. Any suggestions would be helpful.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Off to your GP/A&E ASAP.

Get it checked.

Lynn10 months first TKR/11days 2nd TKR

• Posted

I had the stinging and went to gp . Gp said it was the nerves and all the internal stitches and healing and adjustment to the new foreign body. Still get it occasionally now just a top of scar. Week three is when a lot of bruising comes out too. Get reassurance as of course we worry about infection. Have you a temperature or are you feeling unwell? Go with your instinct no point in sitting home worrying but hopefully it will turn out to be fine.
  • Posted

I was given a number to ring if there were any problems which went straight to the ward where I stayed and used it a couple of times in the early weeks. If you've not been given a number for the hospital ring your GP straightaway.
  • Posted

Hi carol I'm 18weeks post tkr. My wound got very red and hot and started to weep at the bottom of my wound were the knot of the stitches was. My wound had been great up till then, I was about 2weeks post op then. The redness and weeping crept up the wound and crusted over.

I phoned the hospital and they took lots of photos and blood tests and told me to come back in 2dsys. They then took more photos, the the weeping and crusting was still moving up my scar. More blood tests, scan and fluids drained off for testing.and put on a high dose of antibiotics.thd heat and redness was bad

I had to return again in 2 days fasting because depending on my blood results I was told I would have to go to theatre to have it washed out, but thank god it wasn't necessary. I was on a really high dose of antibiotics for 2weeks.

Get it checked out, I knew something wasn't right with mine as it was red and angry looking before the weeping started.

• Posted

This sounds familiar to what I experienced. Mine was on the stitch line and it was an inside stitch that wasn't disolving correctly and worked it's way up to the surface. It happened twice. I did visit with the doctor who explained what was going on. But infection isn't anything to mess around with and peace of mind is worth the trip to your doctor.
  • Posted

I was OK with my TKR but I do know of someone who got infection in hers.

Red hot and swollen.

Hope this settles down

Sarah

• Posted

Thanks everyone for the advice, I spoke to the hospital this morning and they seem to think this is normal. They have advised that I keep an eye on it just in case it changes, oozes etc. and if necessary my GP can carry out a blood test to check. They did say however that if the doctor suggests taking an antibiotic that I must not start this and immediately go back to the hospital for confirmation!
  • Posted

mine gets hot.and even the ice packs dont always work, but it sounds like you may have a infection so if i were you i would get it checked out sooner then later it better to feel a bit foolish and ask the people who done the op then to leave it and just to worry i rang them up after 3 wks because i though i had a infection and they were very under standing,good luck and i hope its not a infection

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.