Concerned about mono symptoms

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hey Guys,

I had a particularly nasty case of mono diagnosed in January. I was only 18 and my parents were overseas and I was home alone for a month for the first time. Symptoms started the day after they left. For weeks I had whole body rashes, fevers, weight loss, a swollen throat and severe stomach cramps. I had a large (2cm across 0.5 cm up) lump appear on the left side of my neck and it was painless. At first doctors thought cancer and then blood tests revealed it was mono.

Anyway I am from Australia and had to start uni in mid feb. I wasn't fully recovered but I mean no way I was going to miss out. I had constant relapses and aggravations of symptoms but mostly felt I was getting better as the semester continued and managed to pass. Anyway holidays were just over a month ago and for the full month I rested. Pretty much did nothing except light exercise and felt great. Thought I had kicked it.

Anyway 2 weeks ago we started semester 2 and starting from about Wednesday-Thursday last week I have had severe symptoms of fatigue, nausea, headaches and bad stomach cramps. Also worth noting the lump in my neck has been up for 6 months and not gone down once. The most concerning thing for me is over the past month I have been having night sweats with which I literally drench my bed and have to change clothes.

It has been hard to do uni with all these problems. I guess what i'm asking is, is this all normal? I know mono increases chance of contracting lymphoma and I feel like sudden development of severe night sweats and stomach cramps is less in line with glandular and more in-line with a cancer diagnosis.

I understand glandular can last for a year though I read only in about 22 percent of cases is this possible. I also read that symptoms become better and better as the year goes on even with the good and bad days. This was how it was tracking and then BAM night sweats, stomach cramps incapacitating me and numerous other symptoms. Very nervous I may have cancer.

Sorry about the essay guys, I am going to see a GP soon but would love some reassurance beforehand. If not reassurance maybe let me know if I'm actually not tracking normally.

Regards

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ryan,

so sorry that you have to go through this especially since you just started university. I want to reassure you that your symptoms are not out of the ordinary and for a lot of people this illness can last a year or more. 

I know some people who had bad night sweats with mono as well, and I also have noticed I sweat much more during the night than I usually would with this virus. All the other symptoms you listed seem to be very typical of mono as well, so I wouldn’t be too worried that it is anything else. I hope that helps you feel better, but do still go do the doctor just for extra reassurance. 

Take care,

Dominika 

• Posted

Hi Ryan im 14 months into this and have had 4 relapses,im laid up as we speak with it again,i like you thought it had gone for good as the last few weeks ive picked up a bit,i was fine on Frid and then slept all day Sat and Sun so knew I was coming down with something and all the old symtoms back,temperature,aching,dizzy,headzche,anxiety,etc and sweats,i don't think you need worry about cancer,its this horrid virus,it is so brutal but do talk to your doctor for reassurance,well done getting through College,hope we can all soon put this behind us

• Posted

Hi Ryan,

I had the swollen gland left side too, it finally went down, but it took almost a year.

• Posted

All this is normal for mono....since your immune system is weak it is easy to contract other viruses.  I had the flu in the 3rd month and a couple of stomach viruses( bad cramps usually 1-2 days each). Do gonto the doctor though...im in NC Usa and it has surprised me that many doctors just don’t understand this virus and dont believe some things it causes. Even when you feel better stay on vitamin c and multivitamins for atleast 6 mos toma year after. Im just over my 3 rd relapse at 7 mos and still have 1 noticeable node on my neck and 3 small ones under.   You are young so your body will handle it better than us older guys.  Get rest and think positive. 
  • Posted

I forgot to mention I’m proud of you for going to college.  You are our future in this world. Appreciate every blessing you have and don’t be afraid to thank people along your journey.  
  • Posted

Hi Ryan,

So sorry to hear that you have been through such an awful time this year, and it is only too understandable that these fears and worries kick in. I know I had that too when I went through mono as my symptoms felt so severe, and similar to you after 7 months or so I was so weary and tired and just drained by the whole thing, mentally, physically and emotionally, thinking that things would never get better despite having tried so hard. It is amazing you managed your semester at Uni and that is real courage and guts you showed to keep going despite this, I know I couldn't have managed that and had to stop work completely when I took mono. 

I do want to reassure that these symptoms you are having most certainly can be very normal with mono, I had a reactive lymph node in my neck which felt large and painful right throughout, it was so frustrating. I want to reassure you that this symptom and the fatigue and horrible malaise of just generally feeling unwell do go with time. I don't know any of the stats or anything but I would certainly say from what I've read a much larger percentage of people than 22% are affected for an extended period of time, and any of these symptoms in the first year can definitely be normal. 

Of course it is wise to go to the doctor and hoping they can do some blood tests and give some support which reassures and confirms that it is only the mono and nothing else causing this. A thing to remember is that 90%+ of the western world get infected with EBV virus which causes mono at some point in their lives, most as a child I think so they don't get the horrible illness like you and the other folks on the site here are experiencing, but the vast majority of these people don't go on to get any other nasty or serious illness - I was so worried too when I read about the link with mono and lymphoma, but this is so rare and it is far more likely to be the mono than anything else causing this, the symptoms you describe are a lot of what I experienced during mono and with time it did get better - for me it took 10 months really to see a major turning point but things drastically did get better after that and that was 12 years ago and thanks to God was able to return to full health and activity - and I believe you will too Ryan hang in there and thinking about you, trusting in God -  of course though always wise to visit the doctor and talk about these concerns, and hoping they can offer reassurance. 

Taking vitamins and herbs really helped me too, a good strong multi-vitamin per day, B100 complex (great for nervous system and energy levels, and don't worry if pee goes bright yellow that is normal), higher doses of Vitamin C (1000mg-3000mg per day) and immune boosting herbs like siberian ginseng, echinicea, oregano.

Thinking about you and remember most definitely it often is normal for this virus to take so long and affect you so badly but then go on to make a full and complete recovery - thinking about you and hoping that you feel much better soon but do keep in check with the doc and hoping they can be helpful.

Believing you WILL get through this and get better, I felt the same that things would never improved but they did and your health and body resilience does come back, and don't panic if it takes a bit of time still, that can be normal but you definitely will get there I truly believe that and trust God with your recovery.

Craig

• Posted

Hi,

I had drenching night sweats on and off for months. They freaked me out too! They went away eventually. Take care. 

• Posted

Hey Guys,

I just wanted to fill you all in. Thanks so much for all your kind words. When I got the blood tests back I freaked out as they said I didn't have glandular fever.

Long story short it's been a while now and the doctors have diagnosed me with post viral syndrome. This is a recurrence of glandular fever symptoms with no medical tests showing anything. It happens and was freaky but I am finally starting to feel better.

So anybody out there who gets a really acute episode months after your initial disease, don't worry! It's most likely post viral syndrome.

• Posted

Hi Ryan,

It is great to hear that you are starting to feel things are moving in the right direction, that is great news. Absolutely I want to reassure you that it is normal what you're going through, I was unwell the same period as you but it was only my initial blood test that showed mono - all others after that were normal, apart from one where liver function test was slightly off. 

This is classic mono, and yes post-viral is what they call it, the recovery time to get over something so nasty as this. Please know that this does get better Ryan, this is just another way of saying your body has taken a battering from this but it does get better with time, and God willing you won't have to go through another period like the last 9 months - my experience was the the second year was so much more liberating and one of recovery and restoration thanks to God - hoping and praying for that for you Ryan and hoping things continue to move in the right direction - thinking about you and message any time!

Craig

• Posted

I also had horrible night sweats. I remember nights when I had to get up twice to change my clothes  as it was soaking. I haven't had it in a while though.

I am 13.5 months in. 

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

• Posted

22% is probably way too short. I've seen a poll where over 50% take longer than 6 months. It also says young people recover quick, kids don't notice symptoms etc, but again I've seen a blog where someone's 7 year old daughter is going through most of the symptoms us adults are. We all obviously have a different level of health, but it sounds like the symptoms you mention are perfectly normal. I'm in month 7 and I'm suffering mainly from fatigue, occasional headaches(which is now an improvement as I had the every day a month ago) and I've just started in the last week or so to get tummy pains and need to visit the toilet quite frequently....and just a general feeling of feeling about 120 years old....I'm officially 37

• Posted

Hi Dodge,

Definitely agreeing with you that a much higher percentage have issues with this virus going on for up to a year, and I know you're in the midst of that period right now so still thinking about you and remember things will still get better - it took me 10 months to see a major turning point, and it is different for everyone but most definitely there is still hope and still believing you are going to get through this and get better! I do empathise with that about feeling 120 years old when going through the virus! It won't always be that way though your body resilience and strength and ability to cope with more stressful activities without paying for it for feeling so bad all the time does come back with time - hang in there.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.