Concerned about my alcohol use (abuse?) :(

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi All,

Where to start? I'm not sure...

Well, I am becoming more and more concerned about how much I am drinking on a regular basis.

I've been 'lurking' here for a couple of weeks and the threads / comments have really hit home for me. I am scared that my drinking is / could get out of control and destroy my life.

I suppose some background info. might be of use to you great people here.

So, (I hate people who begin sentences with 'so' smile  ).

I've had 'stress' / depression and anxiety issues for over 20 years. (Treated by GP's with medication from then 'til now and CBT at the time).

In the mid to late '90's I had a 'full on' nervous breakdown - off work for 18 months.

Just before my 'meltdown' I was drinking at least half a bottle of Single Malt every night, to try to make the stress go away. It didn't.

Pretty much since then I've always known I do drink 'too much' and have struggled ever since to keep my drinking in check. sad

Ok, to keep it short, roughly 3 months ago I had a 'stress' / anxiiety attack at work and basically 'fell apart', mentally. sad

I live in West Sussex, and went to my GP who increased my antidepressant dose (twice, over two months) and put me back on betablockers (which work, but are tough to live with - side effects, along with the increased anti-depressant dose side effects).

I was given (by my GP) contact details for 'Time to Talk', an NHS talking therapy organisation (for CBT my anxiety / stress issues) who, after a telephone consultation with them decided that because I 'drink so much' (more than the Government recommended 14 units per week) they discharged me from their 'care' (What care?) until I've adressed my alcohol issues. (For at least 3 months).

I've had a couple of sessions with a Chichester Wellbeing councellor, who has been very supportive.

Last time I saw her she mentioned CGL (Change, Grow, Live) in Chichester  - decided to go for it - just up the road. I'd worked myself upto it and - they don't do a walk in service on Tuesday afternoon! sad when I went.

Having looked at their website, it kind of flicked a switch in my mind, it concerned me, inso much that I don't want to be that person.

Well, after that diatribe / drivel, how much do I drink on a daily basis?

Don't keep any alcohol in my flat.

But I do buy a 'four pack' every night after work and more often than not go and get *another* 4 pack sad

Not happy about it, but struggling to sort it out.

Sorry for the long, rambling post, but I'm scared that I might be 'going down the tubes', due to my apparent inability to drink 'sensibly' sad

Thanks,

Andy

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Lots of people drink in order to reduce their anxiety. Anxiety in different phases of life for different reasons. It makes you numb and relaxed. Vicious circle. Tricky tobreak.
  • Posted

You are definitely not alone. I started drinking as it helped with my anxiety and insomnia. Yes it did help to start with, but you’re quite right in saying deal with the anxiety first.

I should have done that as alcohol increases anxiety, and as robin said, it’s a vicious circle. Alcohol is a depressant and creeps up on you. I ended up with chronic anxiety and depression and insomnia.

You do need to contact CGL. Yes it is daunting, but necessary. They may have a CBT counsellor there who is trained in alcohol problems.

There is another medicine, Acamposate (campral) which I used and would recommend. It’s an anti craving drug and after a week the craving a drink starts to wear off. Unlike TSM, you don’t drink alcohol whilst taking it. Basically it changes and ‘resets’ your brain. The vast majority of people need to go through ARCs in order to get it prescribed. It certainly helped me and I do drink socially and sensibly now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.