Concerned about my eye and pee colour!!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone!

So after five years of elevated bilirubin levels, I've finally (almost) accepted my doctors diagnosis. Before hand I had huge anxiety it was something more severe.

For the past three years my eyes have a permanent yellowish tinge, this is mostly evident in my illuminated magnifying mirror....but none the less it still bothers me.... I've noticed it's worse when I'm tired, dehydrated or ill. (It gets worse, then returns to mild yellow but never fully returns to white).

For about the last eight months I've noticed my pee is darker too. Especially first thing in the morning, it's never been like this before so caught my attention. I started drinking 3L of water a day which has helped, but if I miss a litre it goes darker again, and sometimes even with increased fluids it's still dark in the morning. Nothing too intense, just probably about twice as dark as I've been used to the rest of my life.

So really I just wondered if anyone can relate to this as just being part of Gilberts?

I've a tendency to panic over it and believe my doctor has missed something more sinister... but I also don't want to drive him nuts keep reappearing every three months to be reassured it's just a regular symptom. I guess I just assumed that if I ate healthy, avoided alcohol and drank loads of water my eyes would return white, but they never do. And having a new symptom such as darker urine has just started my worry up all over again.

So I'd be hugely grateful if anyone can confirm they too have this.....

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I drink at 4lt of water per day, try to drink during the night if I wake up and pee, and my morning pee is always dark, really dark if I don’t get up during the night. I have been diagnosed with lyme disease about 12 months ago along with co-infectors and high heavy metals (copper and lead), so a lot of issues I thought were related to Gilberts (mainly my fatigue) is probably related to lyme, I don’t really know. My doctor did recommend Calcium-D-glucarate for Gilberts. Hope this helps.

• Posted

I fully understand you. I'm in a similar situation. I've been diagnosed 20 years ago. since then I have yellow tint in my eyes. It never dissapears. I have also dark urine and other symptoms time to time. But daily exercises are very important. they increase the blood flow around liver and helps liver to get rid of toxins. Barley soup is very helpful to lower bilirubin, I also use zinc sulphate and sam-e(800mg daily) to lower bilirubin (I tried calcium d-glucarate but it didn't work)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.