Concerned about my PSA / %fPSA results

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi there! I'm a 40 year old white male and concerned about my recent PSA test results. I'm waiting on a followup urologist appointment July 13 (and losing my mind in the meantime). My PSA is 19.77 and %fPSA is 3% (0.03). Prostate size is 45.1mL in volume based on an ultrasound I had done last December. These numbers are terrifying me based on everything I'm reading online. My father passed away at 66yrs old from prostate cancer, and 2 of my cousins have had their prostates removed in their 30's. What is the likelihood that this is cancer, and not just prostatitis or BPH...? The more I'm reading, the more the (very) low %fPSA is worrying me the most. Any thoughts...? 

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

mine age 49 with a 22cc (22g) prostate was 16.9 (same LUTS symptoms as you brought me in) with %free PSA 5%.  Repeated 4 days later, 9.66 and 4%.  3-T MPMRI gave 4 out of 5 on Liekhart scale.  But it was inflammation, biopsy was clear so was HOLEP samples and now it is 0.66 and longer term milder LUTS symptoms all gone.  Yours may be just inflammation too.  But given family history you should do what they say I think. 
    • Posted

NB adjusting for prostate size my 16.92 out of 22cc "beats" your numbers ... yet was benign.   I was scared at the time. 

• Posted

paul i got prosratisus uro said i got inflammation how do you get rid of it
    • Posted

Hi Paul,

16.9 and 16.92 ? Are they PSA readings ? Hank

• Posted

Yes, PSA was 16.92 with free PSA 5%, then a few days later 9.66 with free PSA 4%.  PIRADS MRI Score at this time was 4/5.  Two months post HOLEP with the infection also presumably self-cured, or maybe the antibiotics given incendentally due to Cystoscopy and biopsy plus HOLEP helped nailed it, I was down to 0.66 in August 2016, re-tested October 2016 at 0.66, all fine.  I didn't know then that it (PSA) can even be 50 or 100 or more and just be inflammation/prostatitis, and didn't know that only low PIRADs score is reliable, high one often wrong, so was more worried than justified.  This I think is common. 

I didn't know then that ?% free PSA is also highly unreliable.  Any reliable detection method for P Ca would pull in 100's of billions worldwide as could price up to almost the cost of the avoided biopsies and MRIs, whilst still in patent.  None of the fancy-pants alternative tests are reliable either.  If they were, they would replace PSA in a trice. 

• Posted

NB the "maybe you had sex 2 days before or rode a bike" things, don't explain more than +1 on the PSA, I am told. 

• Posted

Shawn;

I believe you were wise to have your level checked at such a young age!

That being said; I would take a deep breath and relax, for starters.

There can be a number of reasons why your level was elevated. 

I would recommend, as nothing I say here will have you relax, that you follow-up with your urologists sooner.

When you speak with him, he will likely recommend that you have the PSA rechecked.

I would recommend that he considers ordering an MRI of the prostate, using a "3 Tesla coil" (that's important to mention, as most MRI's are not 3T, and are not powerful enough). This will give a better indication of possible abnormalities in the prostate.

I wish you the best

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.