Concerned about this drug

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been on Mirtazapine for several years now because of serious depression but the strange thing is that is seems to be doing less and less for me now. I used to feel real good on it. I don't really sleep that well and have loads of weird dreams, usually feel tired and flat in the day, emotionally numb quite often. The thing that seems to be getting worse recently is the irritability, people and things are really getting to me and I feel like i'm gonna flip out and smash something. Depression seems worse too and its getting harder to cope. I also seem to have mental difficulties like when I'm studying for university work its like my brain is all fuzzy and just doesn't work right and I can't think clearly. I also get very light headed standing up quite often though that varies. Of course it is possible that these things are the symptom of some other problem but hopefully not. Anyone else relate to this? I'm gonna go to my GP anyway to try something else.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

alrite tony, i too seem to suffer with the same symptoms as you, well simular any way, ive been on lots of different anti d,s and am now trying mirtazepine , i am feeling a little bit better at the moment , need to chat any time send me mail cheers.
  • Posted

Hi patty b, thanks I appreciate that. Glad to hear your feeling a bit better. I've got an appointment today with a GP. I actually already reduced my dosage to 30mg a day and it already seems to have reduced alot of those symptoms. Feel less irritable. I don't feel too great today, a bit like you feel when you start to get a cold. Not sure if its because of the reduction or i'm just ill anyway. I hope you find Mirt. useful, it was a good drug for me for a long time. I'd really like to come off all meds if possible, not sure how i'll be though.
  • Posted

HELLO,

I HAVE BEEN ON MIRTAZAPINE NOW FOR TEN NIGHTS, HAVE RECENTLY BEEN CHANGED FROM 40MG OF FLUOEXTINE. I KNOW THEY SAY IT TAKES A FEW WEEKS TO NOTICE ANY CHANGE, BUT I FEEL WORSE NOT BETTER.

I AM SLEEPING FROM 9.00PM UNTIL 1.00PM, (NOT GOOD WHEN YOU HAVE CHILDREN!!). I AM ALSO CONSTANTLY HUNGRY, WHICH IS NOT LIKE ME, DON'T GET ME WRONG I DO ENJOY MY FOOD, BUT NEVER EVER BEEN SO HUNGRY SINCE I STARTED TAKING THESE.

I HAVE RANG MY DOCTOR AND AM CHANGING TABLETS AGAIN ON MONDAY TO CIPRAMOL (I THINK THAT'S WHAT THEY SAID).

HAS ANYONE HAD ANY EXPERIENCE ON THESE TABLETS.

TAKE CARE.

• Posted

You need at least two weeks for your body to get used to Mirtazapine.  I would be careful of swapping tablets at this point.  I was unable to get out of bed for two weeks and began to adjust a week or so later, now (6 months later) it has completely sorted me out.  
  • Posted

Tony - I can relate at least to the dizzyness you describe. I have at times felt extremely light headed, sometimes on the verge of passing out. It seems to have subsided considerably though and rarely do i experience it anymore. Regarding the fits of anger, i think that has more to do with the depression than side effects of the drugs. I used to become easily wound up and have fits of rage prior to my program of mirt, again that seems to have been cured, at least for the time being.

Flower Lady - I wish my tablets knocked me out for that long lol, without being unsympathetic to your predicament of course. I can understand that must be impeding on your duties as a mother. I also have similar dietry tendancies, constantly hungry, even after big meals. Mirtazapine is notorius for its side-effect of \"increased appetite\" (an understatement if ever i heard one), i have put on weight, not enough for me to consider abandoning it at this stage though as aside from these qualms it has been somewhat succesful in curing my depression.

Hope this helps. All the best with your respective conditions.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.