Concerned and needing advice

Posted , 10 users are following.

New guy here so please be patient with me. I'm 44 and have been having some trouble with prostate for a long time now. Frequent urination, low stream, some pain when urinating but not every time, and some pain when I ejaculate. Finally broke down and went to my PCP and he ran a PSA test which came back 5.1. Prescribed me Cipro and said take this for prostatitis and come back for recheck on PSA. Should I be more concerned and in need of urologist? Any advice is appreciated!

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

If you're given meds to treat say infection then the best thing to do is, as others in here have said, go step by step,

Take the meds for the prescribed period, say 1-3 weeks.

Afterwards WAIT two weeks to ensure the meds are out if your system THEN retest the PSA.

• Posted

Ummm Barney, I was on norfloxacin for 3 weeks then cipro for a further 6 weeks, when I finished, I had a PSA test the next day. Wonder if that compromised the results?? urologist never said to wait etc. Next time I see him, I will ask.

Geoff

• Posted

I believe the results were compromised. I too was on norflaxacinorflaxacin for two weeks a year ago when it was thought I had an infection. But I waited  before getting my PSA, which I think is important.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.