Concerned Daughter - Father's PSA High

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, I am writing concerning my father. He is 56 years old and just had a PSA test done 2 days ago. His result came back 4.24. He does have symptoms of prostate problems, but so has his father. My father is very bad with going to the doctor annually and I begged him to go this year (I am currently a physician assistant student and am very supportive of preventative medicine).  Anyways, he's had 3 PSA tests within the past 6 years with the following results:

2011 - PSA 1.83

2013 - PSA 2.92

2017 - PSA 4.24

What concerns me is the rise in these values and as well as the most recent abnormal value.

My grandfather who is 84 (his father) has also had problems with his prostate.  From what my grandfather tells me, his PSA is 9 and he has had about 4 biopsies within the past 10 years which have all turned out negative for prostate cancer. So, I guess he has only been diagnosed as having an enlarged prostate.

I am currently seaching for a urologist for my father, since I want him to go to one regardless of what his GP says, but I was just looking for input on what other people may think about these values.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

My dad just had his appointment with his urologist.  The urologist didn't like the climb in the numbers, which I could have guessed.  He did a DRE and didn't note anything remarkable.  He didn't saying anything about it being enlarged, which concerns me a little.  As I stated before, my dad has had prostate symtpoms for a couple years now. He was placed on levofloxacin for three weeks and then they'll recheck the PSA levels after that, so I'm praying they come down.  If they don't come down, the urologist said they'd do a biopsy.  I told my dad to mention the PCA3 test, but he didn't. He is going to call the insurance to see what's covered and everything. Is PCA3 tests usually covered by insurance and do most urology offices do them? Just wondering what your thoughts may be.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.