Concerned I have Fibromyalgia

Posted , 10 users are following.

I would really appreciate some advise and information if anyone has any to give...I am a 45 year old women from the UK, I have felt unwell generally for some time, many years of depression and anxiety and anti depressants and all the symptoms generally associated with these conditions, panic attacks, dizziness etc!

November just gone, I noticed my lower arms started to hurt and my fingers became very painful, I have done a lot of repetitive work in my past using my arms and thought it may be down to this, but nowI have also developed extreme fatigue, I sleep okay but wake feeling as tired as I did when I went to bed, I feel dizzy all the time and often nauseous(Is nausea common with Fibro) and my legs feel weak!

I have started blood tests and so far everything is coming back normal, I have started taking Vitamin D but this doesn't appear to help.

Does this sound like the condition or has any one else got a clue what is up with me, Im very low any help would be appreciated

Many thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

It does sound like it but there are many autoimmune conditions that have similar symptoms, it would be worth asking to see a Rheumatologist though. Good luck smile 
  • Posted

Hi Heather 

I'm a 47 yr old woman 

And the same symptoms occurred for me at the age of 44

The dizziness and migraine was the worst I now have that part under control 

However the painful fingers 

Legs and feet never ease off completely.

I have good and bad days but mostly bad at the moment 

Can I also mention I was going through the menopause when all my symptoms started so everything was put down to that 

Until I saw a rheumatologist 

Might be a good idea to ask your dr for a referral 

I'm taking amytriptaline for the pain and sleep and it takes the edge off

Hope you get some relief real soon xx

• Posted

Hi Heather,

Your history sounds similar to  mine. Im in the uk too was diagnosed at 42 have had this for 9 years although i dont really get the headaches. I was sufferering with my feet so much i lost 2 stone and was doing great recently (walking well etc) then for no reason the pain has spread to my upper legs. its really bad at moment and i had a mri  scan this week as i want to rule out ms,  as all  blood tests come back normal etc, i was deficient early on with vit D and this causes bone pain . the  Rhumatologist  and neurologist all say its fibro  i have been so off balance and my speech is really slow and cant find the words im looking for. i am on pregablin and amitriptylene 

at night to help with sleep. There seems to be no pattern, cause or cure for this what we need is more research into this 

my son has chronic fatigue syndrome and we wonder if it was a virus that triggered ours as it was around the same time both of us got sick? 

take one day at a time 

nice warm baths 

tens machine is quite good for upper leg and back pain

mine feels like labour pains in upper legs!

and also for leg spasms and general muscle health i found a magnesium spray called better you is brillliant at night.

all i can say is that you are not alone x

• Posted

Well unfortunately it does sound very like fibromyalgia but you do need to let your doctor go through the tests for other things as there are other conditions it might be. It took about 5 or 6 years before my doctor mentioned fibro. I think maybe he was hoping I'd just get better!

I also suffered from depression but I am pleased to say this has got a lot better and I dont know if it's the combination of my antidepressant (prozac) and also the amytriptyline which I am prescribed for the pain, but is also an antidepressant or if it's just the fact that I have an explanation for why I was feeling so totally crap. It's horrible feeling awful and having no rhyme or reason for it.

I have also started on the vitamin D, it can't hurt and may help, but I think that's long term so don't give up.

Good luck.

• Posted

I've had this all and more for approx 14 years due to GAD. It can get very severe with the anxiety and chronic stress hence please keep moving and destress and maybe a nice massage once in a while.

Please check with your doc for RA test/ Uric Acid / CBC too.

Feel better and don't get hyper.

• Posted

Hiya I'm suffering the same symptoms as everyone has described but not the head aches. Doctor just said chronic joint pain. And gave me amitriptyline I'm also on flouoxitine for depression. Sick off being in pain but getting worried to take amitriptyline because it says causeres weight gain. I have put on a lot of weight due to lack of exercise with pain. Has anyone found it put a lot of weight on them.

Thankyou for any relpys

• Posted

Hi Heather 

my my doctor diagnosed Fybro about 5 years ago after my mum died. I already had lots of pain from other problems but started to get flu like symptoms and extreme exhaustion.  I have lots of nausea which is sometimes worse than others sometimes it’s day after day usually after eating a meal and feel like I wished I hadn’t eaten I need to never eat to much at once. I use crystallised ginger for it which can help also lots of mints.  Also the dizziness has been causing me a lot of problems recently don’t know if this is the fybro or poss because I have trouble with my spine and osteoporosis

Kathleen x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.