Concerning and Chronic Health Issues.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm eighteen years old, and for over two month I have had concerning digestive problems.

It all started with what I thought was a case of indigestion. two bowls of hot soup and chugging down cold liquid. A day later, my stomach was growling immensely and U was constipated. I took laxatives for a few days to ease it, but the constipation returned.

While my stool has never been bloody or has shown clear indications of bleeding, one bowel movement was covered with specs of what mucus. This was well over a month ago, and it has not happened since.

I have also passed long, narrow stools. Mostly, I believe this was due to a laxative effect, ad it has occurred when I took laxatives or used the bathroom twice after drinking coffee in the morning.

I have had abdominal pains and cramping during this two month period. Some days it would hardly be noticeable, other days it would be more frequent.

A day ago I believe I have had a case of Malabsorption. My stool was lose, bulky, and floating. I felt fatigue after passing it. I Had symptoms of the common cold a day before, being around my friend in high school who got it just by sharing a room with two relatives. I also had coffee that morning before passing it. I hope these less harmful factors are behind what occurred yesterday.

I come from a low income family. I have no insurance and I'm still in highschool. Hoping to get a part time job at our library.

Not having way to afford a doctor, I aren't to our ER where they took my blood and did an x-ray, apparently they found nothing concerning, but I'm aware that additional screening is required before a definitive answer can be given. Not having any insurance and attending an ER doesn't leave me with many options. They more than likely chose to do the bare minimum.

Oh, and to give you an idea, I come from a "Suck it up and toughen up" family. My father told me that I would have one hell of a bill to pay when I went to the ER. I don't think that I will gain much support unless something life threatening happens to me.

Right now, my only hope is to just land a job, and hope nothing disastrous happens to my body before I can manage to scrape up money for screening. Unfortunately in America, the poor are burdened with extremely limited options when it comes to healthcare. It feels like I'm living on a gamble and there isn't anything I can do about it without sinking into countless thousands of dollars of medical debt due to ER visits, where I may not even receive proper screening.

Currently hoping that I don't suffer serious internal injury or deficiency.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

You should consider about medical tourism to countries like egypt, India, Thailand etc to get lower cost options.

• Posted

that lad have clearly no money to travel to egypt. anyway...back to topic.

pipa nailed it as always. and i would add do not stress and do not try to diagnose yourself and stop watching all your body responses...if its ibs or stress related it will make it worse. relax and try to stay back for few more days... i know its hard...but hey you can do it!!! ibelieve it will settle...

• Posted

Sounds rather like IBS. Try a food diary to see if a food is bringing on the pain. Do you notice if stress brings on flare ups? Try avoiding coffee to see if that helps because sometimes coffee can irritate the gut.

• Posted

Months prior I have had severe sinusitis and a chronic cough. Now I'm seeing symptoms of malabsorbtion. I've read that these are symptoms of cystic fibrosis and now I feel pretty concerned. I'll look for work and see if I can invest in a sweat test.

• Posted

Your symptoms don't sound like cystic fibrosis. They sound more bowel related to me. Malabsorbtion can occur with conditions such as IBS.Sinusitis is a very different condition from cystic fibrosis It is more likely that you have a sinus infection and some sort of bowel disturbance at the same time. Anxiety can cause gut disturbance too.

Don't self diagnose with google; the information you get is often inaccurate for your particular case and it will cause you needless anxiety. The only person who can relieve your anxiety and diagnose you properly is your doctor. Try to save up to see a doctor who is the only person that can help you!This is the very best advice I can give you.A doctor will be able to provide the answers that I can't provide. What is a sweat test?

You seem to have tremendous health anxiety which can cause to think you have all sorts of conditions. I had health anxiety because no one could diagnose me and I imagined all sorts of horrible illnesses that I didn't in fact have. Googling my symptoms made my health anxiety so much worse. Seeing several doctors and having numerous tests eventually led to a correct diagnosis of IBS and a complete cure of my health anxiety.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.