Concerns about recovery after a hip revision operation.

Posted , 8 users are following.

my hip revision operation is looming. I have limited mobility due to other health problems so I am worried about it. I have met one person locally who has been through a hip revision. He surprised me by saying he found it easier to get over than the original op. I know it is a much more complicated operation for the surgeon and that it takes far longer second time around so I assumed the recovery was far more difficult as well. Has anyone been through a revision? I would love to believe that it is no harder than the original operation but I am a bit suspicious.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I had my twenty year old hip revised and all went well however the original stem was not changed, just the ball, the poly and the poly enclosure. Cheers, Richard

• Posted

I had a revision and it was so much easier, and i was more mobile than the first time, and i knew what to expect so took it all in my stride. 100 % better and easier.

• Posted

so pleased to read that. Just read Richards response and I do need to have the stem replaced. Did you have the stem replaced as well or just the cap in the socket?

• Posted

Morning 😃 I am due a revision on January 22nd. My original hip replacement was put in four and a half years ago. It has been a nightmare trying to get answers as to why I have been in crippling pain since. In May last year I was finally told that the cup was at the wrong angle. I will have two surgeons do my op to try and replace the cup and maybe the stem. I also have bone growths that they will try and remove and a psoas release. I hope your op goes well and keep me posted.

BW

Carolyn

• Posted

So sorry to hear that. It’s terrifying when you realise how many things can go wrong and you just hope that it doesn’t happen to you. Best of luck for your revision.

• Posted

Hello Carol

I just have replied to Fiona about my THR Revision.Mine took double time but the 1st one was done

in Greece the Femor side only.The metal Stem had to be Chiseled/Drilled out and replaced with the

modern prosthesis.In both OP's i did not feel a thing.The first one i wanted to walk strait away but they

would not let me do it for 10 days.Had not choice for both OP's.I had to have them.No Regrets,Cheers.N

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.