Concerns over omeprazol/lansoprozol

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I'm sure many people in this forum are taking these drugs or similar and have been doing so for many years. I've just heard that there's been a study saying that they can be dangerous to take and I'm really worried now. Don't think I could cope though if I come off them.

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

What are you worried exactly? How old are you? What side effects do you have? How much are you taking daily omeprazole? 

Studies don't prove anything, at least not yet. You should not be really concerned. If you can't go without them then ofcourse you'll be taking them...

• Posted

Remember, PPI's do not resolve the problem, it just helps with symptoms in some cases.  But it also brings in more symptoms and even more conditions.  I suggest eating a healty low acid diet and eliminate stress-  For me stress is the reason for reflux so not controlling stress even if you take PPI's and eat healthy will not make me 100% better.  Btw, this is not new and taking these medications long term is not good at all. But if you try to get off take it easy- Every other day and every 3rd day an so on. Meanwhile eat healthy and control stress.  Try to find out what are your trigger foods which we are all different. ;-)

God Bless!

Jose

• Posted

Forgot to menton-  You can suffer for many years not knowing what is killing you slowly, or you can take a food sensitivity test and found out what could be killing you and maybe it will stop right away and get back your life.  ;-)

God Bless!

Jose

• Posted

Which drugs solve the problem? NO drugs solve the problem, wether you have Diabetes, hypertension, mental ilness, liver disease, kidney disease.

Drugs can't solve problems but help people to live longer. If there weren't for PPIs I would have been dead 5x by now...

• Posted

All drugs have risks/side effects, it's an unfortunate but unavoidable fact of life.  If your GP has deemed the results outweigh the risks, and as you say you "don't think you can do without them", then you have answered your own question!

• Posted

I was on lansoprozol for 5 year, it's only that I was having some health issues I came off them cold turkey, I had acid reflux really bad for a few weeks and process of elimination of different foods and drinks that I know makes it worse I stay clear of.

i get by now only having Gaviscon when needed. I was also concerned about taking them, it makes more sense to send us for allergy tests than throwing pills at us, like Papote said they aren't solving the problem. Anxiety does make acid reflux worse

my triggers are tomatoes, white bread, wine. Fatty food. Some spices too.

good luck 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.