concerns regarding going for colonoscopy soon

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have failed the poo test ( they found blood) & have been told I have to have a colonoscopy in 4 weeks. Ive been reading some of these posts & have to say Im getting a bit concerned re. the pain factor. The info the medics have sent say there will be no pain as there are no nerves in the colon so how do some people here say differently?

I am also VERY concerned about the stories of being \"held down\" after asking them to stop! For this reason I doubt if I will allow any sedation ( or whatever name they give the drugs!) It sounds as if pain IS present, it will still be felt even with these drugs so seems pointless in having them other than to give the medics a \"get out\" if you tell them to stop!

Obviously I realise this is an important procedure that could potentially have life saving results but some of the stories here greatly concern me!

Im seriously not looking forward to this but will post back about my experience! :shock:

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mr S,

Don't worry about the procedure - it doesn't hurt, it's just a little uncomfortable. I've had 3 now and although I was terrified the first time it wasn't half as bad as I thought it would be. Take the sedation, it will relax you.

Good luck.

Jane

• Posted

If it doesn't hurt, then why is pain medication provided??
  • Posted

Hi

I have to have regular colonoscopies.

The honest truth is it can be painful, usually when the scope is going round a bend, also it is uncomfortable when they pump air in.

The point of the sedation is to relax you which makes it easier for you (not the docs ) and obviously painkillers are for that reason.

So in my opinion it's better to have them, never in a million years would I do it without, you will be awake and can talk to the staff if you need to and you can watch it all on screen which is fascinating.

After a short rest, cup of tea and something to eat you are on your way

wondering what you were worried about.

Good luck

• Posted

ok, so if there CAN be pain while the scope is going round bends, why do i have a letter telling me I will not feel any pain because there are no nerves in the colon?

Some one is telling porkies here!

I can post the the official letter if you dont believe me!

• Posted

You only have to google to find out there is a nerve supply to the colon.

The nerves supplying the large intestine are via the sympathetic and parasympathetic nerves. The anal sphincter is supplied by motor nerves from the spinal cord.

I hope you do manage without any pain, some do but many don't.

Good luck

• Posted

well, had the colonoscopy & have to report, NO pain! i thought I was \" all there\" after the sedation, but in all honesty, I can remember very little!

I remember looking at a computer screen & seeing a view of the inside of my colon which just looked like a pink cave but after that the next thing was the doctor waking me to tell me he had found nothing untoward 7 I would need no follow up consultation!

I have subsequently found out that a false positive result for the \"poo\" test can be achieved if you eat certain things! I was eating a lot of black pudding that week which can cause a false positive as can broccoli apparently!

A lot of worry & NHS cash could be saved if this info was given out along with the poo test!

Simon ( relieved but annoyed!)

• Posted

Just a point on what you said. You do not \"Have\" to have a colonoscopy. If you decide not to have one then there is nothing they can do about it, it is your body and only you say what is done to it. If you do decide to have it, read up on what happens and what they dont tell you first. I have never and will never have any invasive procedure, I will take my chances

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.