Confession time

Posted , 19 users are following.

Ok, so most of you know me by now, and I've confessed to a lot of things on here, but this one is something I'm really ashamed to mention.

I've gone and got myself 'addicted' to pain medication. Codeine specifically. Initially I took it to help me sleep at night. Sigh. I have myofacial pain syndrome as well as PMR.

No wonder I'm depressed, eh?  Throw in pred and Lyrica (another pain medication that makes you drowsy) and it's no wonder I'm not motivated to do anything - I'm drugged to the eyeballs all day.

I know I need to tell my Dr, I know I need to get off it, but like all "drug addicts" the thought of doing so scares the hell out of me.

I'm currently taking 4 tablets of 15mg codeine/500mg paracetomol three times a day. That equates to 6mg of paracetomol a day! OMG!

I KNOW this will cause liver damage, if it hasn't already, so no need for the lectures, thanks.redface

I'm only mentioning this so that if any one else has found themselves on the slippery slope they know they are not alone.

I also hope that by actually telling someone (everyone) that I confront my problem and actually do something about it.

It's time I fixed this one.

2 likes, 76 replies

76 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

It took a lot of courage to admit your problem to all of us. Now use that strength to get yourself straight. We are all behind you. Report in often - or whatever you need to do. Don't feel guilty. With pain, lack of sleep (or too much sleep in my case) etc. I understand how this could happen. Sending hugs - wish I could do more. Jan

• Posted

Thanks Jan, I very much appreciate everyone's support and I'm already cutting back thanks to owning up to it here. What would I do without you all?

• Posted

Dear Flip

Try not to get down or beat yourself up. You have contributed much to this sight and we are all pulling for you. I have thought about this alot. Two years ago I would have a bottle of wine on the weekend and that was pretty much it. I still have my bottle of wine but addedto that currently take 50 mg of Tramadol most mornings and 2mg of weed as an edible in the afternoon. The way I look at it is I didnt do this before I had pain. If I didnt have pain I wouldnt do it. I am on 2.5 mg of pred 18 months in sarted at 20. I have tried Lyrica and Gabapentan which did nothing except make me fat and mindless. Let me ask you if the Lyrica had of worked for me or anyone else we would have for sure taken it every day the same as steroid. IS THIS NOT ADDICTION. I think so. So brave of you to come forward I myself struggle so I try to keep busy but in order to keep busy I need less pain and Pred has never left me pain free. I have a neighbor that has PMR and will not even try to reduce PRED he is 82 and says its quality not quantity of life. Im 59 and of couse still trying to maintain both.

Huge lightly given Hug for you. Joanne

• Posted

Oh as far as the dosing of all the pharmacuticals offered by these doctors that either your mind or body can get addicted to. the dose im allowed to take of tramadol is 2 50mg tablets 4 times a day. I take 1. The lyrica was 1500 mg per day (couldnt remember peoples names) Apparantly these two options were better than staying on steroids. As I said if the pain was not there I wouldnt take anything but even though my doctor will only presribe 60 pills you could really become much more dependant before he would have a problem. So now that Im on a rant for all of those members that are pain free or nearly on pred lets see them give it up for 2 weeks so that we can all be addiction free. Sorry pain does make you rather grumpy at times. Joanne
    • Posted

I really don't think the Lyrica does anything (except contribute to my fatness!) I'm going to talk to my Rhuemy today about alternatives to both the codeine/paracetomol and Lyrica. There has to be something to help with the myofacial pain syndrome that doesn't turn me into a pill munching zombie. 

I

used to drink too much Joanne, I really need to stay away from the wine or it will be my undoing. I'm fine when I don't drink at all, but once a glass is drunk that's the end of me (or the bottle I should say!). Takes days for me to stop craving the wine again. What is tramadol? Is that paracetamol?

Edible weed - sounds interesting - where/what/how do you get that?

• Posted

Stay away from tramadol.  Major side effect is addiction!

Take up a hobby (not cooking!) which keeps your hands busy and a little bit messy so you can't nibble too easily. cool

• Posted

I took up knitting when I got sick. I'm really quite keen on it these days and thanks to youtube I'm learning all sorts of new and complicated ways to keep myself busy. I'm so grateful that my hands aren't affected by PMR.

Having two new baby granddaughters has been a blessing - a reason (an excuse!) to make cute, tiny things. And the minute someone finds out you knit (and not rubbish stuff), they put in orders. I'll never run out of things to make!

I make a point of buying local, hand spun, hand dyed yarn when I can unless it's a specific yarn that's required.

When we plan a trip away in our caravan Mr Flip asks me what I want to see/do - and I hand him a spreadsheet with the names and addresses of wool growers, spinners and suppliers. lol  I love it - I get to go places off the main roads that we wouldn't normally see and a real sense of purpose to go somewhere. When it first started he just didn't understand, but he 'gets' it now. I don't buy rubbish - and everything thing I make has a story of where/why and how I got it.

I was a chef years ago, so cooking is easy for me... i can use it for good, or evil... depending on my mood - interesting healthy food or a life destroying dessert - no problem! lol

• Posted

I can understand why you enjoy going to wool growers etc. as it is something I enjoy. Every time we go away to the north of Scotland or one of the islands that's what I look for. My poor husband doesn't understand though he has become a bit more enthusiastic especially when he sees the wonderful colours.

• Posted

Knitting is a great occupation.  I can't knit.  Have tried several times and I just get that awful feeling you get when trying to undo a knot which won't untie, so not very relaxing for me!  I used to do needlepoint (tapestry) but it's too hard for me to get the right kind of yarn.  I actually have to order the English brand I use all the way from British Columbia!  Look up Beth Russell needlepoint on the internet.  William Morris designs.  

• Posted

I don't crochet for the same reason Jean! I just can't 'get it'.

Oh wow!!! so 'romantic'! They look almost medieval.

I did cross-stitch for a long time, and I have two Xmas stockings to do for the grandbabies, but other than that I have lost interest in it.

• Posted

That sounds good. At the moment I am knitting a garment with wool from Orkney. I have some lovely deep pink / red wool and some lime-ish green 4ply waiting for my next project.....both beautifully soft to touch. My husband has actually passed positive comment on them.
    • Posted

My ambition was to recover the seats of my dining room chairs with fox, hare and raven.  Working on the second raven now.  Well, I use that term "working now" rather loosely as I ran out of one of the black tints and came to a halt about two years ago.  Suppose I should take up yarn and needle again before I'm pushing up daisies.  So far this project has taken about twenty years - with very long breaks, obviously.... rolleyes

• Posted

Pain does things to us so that you just take what you can to feel better. I'm sure this is what has happened to you. Do you have a family member or friend who you could confide in and perhaps go with you to your doctor. They will be able to help you to reduce the pills gradually. Hope you are able to overcome this. My heart goes out to you as I would never have believed that I would take so much medication to help with pain before PMR.

• Posted

One of my daughters knows what's going on and she's very supportive. I know she's very worried. I can reduce on my own, I just need to *decide* to do it. I discovered that things are actually very easy once you *decide* to do them as opposed to wishing you could do them, or thinking about doing them!

• Posted

I think you have hit upon the right word......decide. Decision followed by action. Action is the hard part but it sounds like you have started. My best wishes and support from Scotland.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.