Confide in GP or not.... personnally I never would......

Posted , 4 users are following.

personally would never confide in my GP as its then always on your medical records. The GP is not duty bound in confidentialy.. Doctors are obliged to give this information.....be it to social workers, health social care jobs and also if you want to just volunteer! 

​   A friend who was going on mild anti depressents only  mentioned she drinks just  a couple of glasses of wine on an evening just so her dr could inform her of any side affects.....but no, it was on her med records and included in a reference, the dr supplied when he was approached by the volunteer agency.  This resulted in being turned down by the charity. She was totallly devastated.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Whilst I'm not doubting what you believe happened when your friend visited her gp? We're you actually with her.

I used to have a severe problem with alcohol many years ago, including overdoses, drink drive charge and many a&e visits due to falls. I've seen my medical records which show all the above, but it's never prevented getting a job.

ive never asked my gp for a reference. Who showed her the reference which points out alcohol issues?

My records have never been questioned when applying for jobs, which included working with vulnerable adults, deputy nursery manager, assistant practice manager. For all my jobs I've needed an updated and enhanced CRB check (don't know new term) which would show drink drive charge.

obviously your friend has spoken to the agency regarding being turned down and the agency have said it was due to alcohol.

if it was me, I'd  have wanted copies of everything they had about me. I'd go back to my gp to discuss what he'd written and WHY and say his comments have stopped

me from working.

AUD ( alcohol user disorder) is a recognised medical condition )  I'd ask the agency if I had cancer or any major illness would they turn me down?

If your friend can prove she was turned down due to ill health ( which your friend doesn't have) someone is guilty of discrimination. I wouldn't just accept it.

• Posted

I would advise to confide in your GP if you have any substance misuse as how are you going to get help otherwise?

I requested and received a full copy of all my medical history so know what has been written about me and as a person with long standing addiction problems I am now clean with the help of my GP.

• Posted

Well done you. Your first point of call,is your gp and I fully agree with your post.
    • Posted

meant to add that I don't think we've been told the full picture. Why would anyone use your gp for a reference? Is she drinking more and hiding it. Who knows?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.