Confirmation of diagnosis

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi! My gp has said that I may have fibromyalgia after years of just saying that it was all due to depression.I was referred to a rheumatologist at the beginning of the year but missed the appointment due to an emergency spell in hospital.All I got was a letter saying that they would not sent me another appointment.I have not persued this but recently have had some bad flare ups.I feel that I need proper confirmation of my gp's diagnosis so that I can get on some form of effective treatment.At the moment all I have is naproxen and paracetamol.The more I learn about fibro the more a lot of things, that I have suffered with for years,are finally falling into place.I had begun to think that I really was losing my mind!But I need confirmation that my gp's diagnosis is correct.Who should I be referred to?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Susan. My GP referred me to a rheumatologist beceause they thought I had   lupus ( SLE) as one of my test results pointed that way . But after an appointment with a rheumatologist she told me it was not lupus and to be very glad it wasn't! I was glad but I came away that day with no diagnosis except I was depressed and to take up a hobby!! She very kindly (I am being sarcastic here) referred me to pain clinic where the consultant there after a few questions and examination told me it was fibro.He put me on pregabalin and amitryptiline and I was already on eight co-codomol a day so between them all I can now live a fairly normal life. Keep going back to GP and ask about a pain clinic. Good luck. Let us know how you get on. x
    • Posted

Thanks sorelin.I have already had tests to exclude lupus and hypothyroidism.I have an appointment to see my GP this Friday and I am going to discuss a referral with him.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.