Conflicting advice on when to take Accrete D3 (colecalciferol) supplements

Posted , 14 users are following.

Many people on prednisolone are also taking Accrete D3 tablets. My mum's pharmacist told her to take this 1 hour before foor or two hours after food TWICE a day which can be a pain in the a*** to calculate the timings on some days.

However, recent reading up on Google suggests we may have been doing this wrong as other reputable sites state that it should be taken just before or just after a meal so now I am completely confused !

Sources:

http://www.ouh.nhs.uk/patient-guide/leaflets/files/11732Palendronic.pdf

https://patient.info/medicine/calcium-with-colecalciferol

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

high mark,  this a new one on me   i have been on this  forum 5 years  and its the first time i have heard of this med

is it  like calceos   for bone care,     interesting to hear  other views  on this med 

• Posted

Hi Mark, I take both in the way described on the NHS website. Hope this helps. 
  • Posted

I have been on these for 2 years I take 1 twice a day at approx the same time it's always about 2 hours after food but I don't think it matters as long as you take them. It's to keep your bones healthy, while you are on pred. 

• Posted

Pauline. It's a calcium/vit D supplement.

I'd always believed it should never be taken around meal times but no sure now

• Posted

Hi Mark. Your Mum's chemist is almost right. I have been taking this for over 10 years. What is important is that you take it at least 1 hour after you other medication. It is well established that calcium can interfere with the absorption of some drugs, particularly prednisolone. 

• Posted

One of the Golden Rules, pred for breakfast and calcium 1 hour before lunch and the other 1 hour before any other meal.

The Lead Pharmacist we use and came to a meetings and explained this to us over 9 years ago and also told us, before you buy any OTC or you have a new prescription, discuss this with your Pharmacist.

Compatibility is the key and  Pharmacists know more about drugs than any other medic,  5 years training and then one year working under a qualified pharmacist and before they are let use on the public.

So make a friend with your Pharmacist.

It paid off for me, the GP prescribed an anti-biotic, Lara looked at it and said 'no way' on to the Gp and it was changed to a compatible one'............

• Posted

Hi Mark,

Calcium can interact with cortioson, therefore it should not been taken together.

Vit D is fat soluble and needs fat to get absorbed. So you have to eat something with fat. "Accreted" seems to be coated and could have a slower and steady release. This would mean it really doesn't matter so much, when to take it.

I take my Pred in the morning with breakfast and the VitD/ Ca (+K2) with lunch.

Adding K2 helps moving  the Ca from the blood into the bone. Otherwise it could lead to Ca plaques in the arteries. I think I am not allowed to tell you numbers about how much, but you can google it. 

• Posted

I take my vit D and calcium with a bit of cheese as it is suggested you should have something fatty with it. Also your mother should ensure that she leaves around three hours between taking the pred and taking the accrete. Apparently the accrete can cause problems with the absorption of the pred. 
  • Posted

Interesting. The instructions on the box tell her NOT to take the D3 with any food and to take either 1 hour before or two hours after
    • Posted

I get an oily vitamin D capsule now, but maybe that's not possible there?  None of our supplements are covered so I buy what I like.  If you check the vitamin D council website you will find an interesting discussion saying basically that it doesn't matter whether you take D with food or without.  I simply googled should you take vitamin D with food.

• Posted

I am reading a book st the moment that refers to vit D research and they are raving about how important it is and how underestimated it has been in the past. Having a good reading seems to really reduce cardiac problems for example based on the research. They also say that malignant melanoma is not helped by sunscreen, it just helps against sunburn. Apparently melanoma has rocketed up since 1935 which is strange as we are now plastering ourselves with suntan lotion. No one bothered in 1935.
    • Posted

There are a whole lot more chemicals in the air, plus thinning of the ozone layer at certain latitudes, plus sunbathing is a "thing" with millions and millions more people than it was in earlier times with far more skin exposed.

• Posted

I don't understand the drive to lie and grill yourself in the direct sun! Especially on a beach - it was bad enough when we didn't bother with sunscreen, sand sticking all over is horrible...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.