Conflicting doctors advice on smear test. Any advice please?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone, I'm new here and would appreciate anyone's thoughts or advice on my dilemma.

I have always attended for my smear tests since I was first sent for as a young woman and have never missed a single one. When I reached 49 and had my last one the practice nurse told me that I wouldn't be sent for again as I would be over 50, had been through the menopause at 45 and had always had totally clear results. I was delighted as they had started to become quite painful. I was sent for again at age 55 and went to see my GP to ask why and she  told me the same as the nurse, that it was a routine letter and with my history (I have had one sexual partner, which is my husband of 35 years and he only had two partners before me) and that my tests had always come back clear my risk was very low so another smear is not really vital especially if it was to cause me pain. 

My dilemma is I recently saw a different GP at my practice and she is saying that I should have one! She tried to do an internal just by hand and I nearly screamed as I felt I was going to rip open with the pain. What should I do and who is right and who is wrong? 

Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You need to have the HPV virus to run the very remote risk that cervical cancer may develop and you clearly are at no risk if you are in a monogamous relationship of many years, which is probably why your previous GP has offered you the chance to opt out from now on. If you are at no risk why worry? You may be interested to know that GPs are given incentive payments to push smears on every woman in order to reach an 80% screening target, and it seems this new GP is keen to reach her target and get her financial bonus, regardless of the pain she inflicts on you. If this test gives you pain and grief, put your foot down and be firm with the new GP. Cervical screening is an option and a choice. You have every right to decline the test, and putting your request in writing to the GP means they are legally obliged to stop pestering you at appointments and stop sending you letters. It is your right to say no, and GPs who do not respect our legal human rights should be reported.
  • Posted

You have a doctor that is a bully and need to complain,why should you go through the pain and worry just so she will hit her targets that she gets paid a bonus for.
  • Posted

Thanks for this. I keep being request ed to attend for smear tests. The reminders are monthly . I am a virfin and over 50 and don't have a vaginal,opening 
    • Posted

Ally197, GPs are given financial incentive payments to force women into screening, when it is supposed to be a free choice for the woman to make herself. You have every right to decline the test, and it is against the law for the NHS to keep sending you letters if they cause upset and harrassment. You may opt out of the recall programme by putting your request in writing to your GP. Just a simple letter explai ning that you have read the leaflet, understand the test, but have decided that you do not wish to take part, should be enough. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.