Conflicting info post op rotary cuff repair

Posted , 5 users are following.

I hope there’s somebody that can answer these  questions. I have had multiple people tell me I should already be in physical therapy by now. I am just six weeks in and start PT next Thursday. I’m doing stretches and light mobile exercises at home. Is my Dr over cautious?

Also....why am I not allowed to take anti-inflammatories? I.e. ibuprofen?

Does anybody know the answer to this because the Tylenol is not working for the pain whatsoever. I don’t know what to do. I feel like I have an ice pack on my shoulder 85% of the time !!

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

what did you have done to your shoulder?  I think your Dr would know best when you are ready for PT. As for ibuprofen, it all depends on what other meds you are taking and what you had done. non steroidal anti inflammatories (such as ibuprofen) can act as a blood thinning agent so often times MD will ask you to not take anti inflammatories from 10 days before surgery until they say it's ok.. I would ask your Dr why he/she does not want you to take them. My Dr wanted me back on my meloxicam day after surgery...which I was glad for...but I still had a cold pack on most of the time. I had RTC repair and bicep tenodesis, subacromial decompression and had PT eval at 4 weeks but therapy was very limited at that time to only passive ROM and pendulum exercises. Trust your Dr. You trusted them enough to do your surgery so trust that they care about your recovery. If you are not sure of something or don't understand...ask the Dr or Nurse. I hope you are back to full operation soon! 

• Posted

Title- selecting info after rotator cuff surgery 

That’s what  I had....

• Posted

I started PT the very next day. Shoulder shrugs and letting my arm hang like a wet noodle with gentle, slow pendulum swings. No reason you can’t take Alleve. He should be prescribing something stronger. I’d demand it
    • Posted

Completely different for me

I was to do NOTHING... and wear my immobilizer for 6 weeks 24/7!

Move my hand and do alphabet w my hand

That was it. I’m told to not even swing it now... hang like “wet noodle” and 2 other stretches

That’s it!

• Posted

ICE IS YOUR FRIEND!!!  ICE as much and as often as you can.

IBPRO has significant contraindications with tendon repair.

If your PT is SLOW and gentle you are ahead of the game.  Stay frosty and stay in the game.  Ask questions.  GOOD LUCK        

• Posted

Thank you. Yes I have 4 ice packs that I rotate all day long. I’m told Tylenol only. Sometimes I’ll take 1500 mg and it doesn’t do much. I cannot take any of those hard-core medications. They make me sick. I guess I’m not that type that gets addicted to opioids. Anyway, he told me Tylenol only and other people of asked me why am not taking anti-inflammatories. They also ask why I’m not doing PT sooner or pendulum swings etc....

I’m assuming my doctor knows best. He doesn’t want me to tear anything. I have a very tiny shoulder and tiny tendons which were torn and I’m sure he doesn’t want me to rip anything and wants my surgery to heal. But I’m wondering if anti-inflammatories would help with the pain. I’m just so sick of the damn pain 24 hours a day. I can’t even open a refrigerator door without pain it’s so depressing.  😢

• Posted

Btw... im 6 weeks post op
    • Posted

I know that’s why I don’t wanna take it anymore I only did it that one time. I think the PT will help me be less in pain.. Thanks so much 
  • Posted

I started PT at 6 weeks, that is what a lot of Dr's do. I also was given ibuprofen to help. I not sure why your dr. Won't.

• Posted

Ok thanks, im at 6 weeks so it’s normal  then.

I think Dr is very conservative as far as this surgery.    I’ve heard people tearing the surgery site and re-injuring and having to have surgery after doing too much too soon. He doesn’t want me to mess up anything that he repaired. Which was quite extensive. Swinging your arm or doing physical therapy the day after sounds ridiculous to me. You need to heal and it needs to adhere to the bone before you can start swinging it around. I looked it up... says ibuprofen slows the healing phase.  

• Posted

I am at 10 months and I am still careful. I think I always will be,,because I'm not doing this again!

• Posted

Seriously!!!!  I told my daughters  I will never have surgery again.  I just want to wake up one day pain free! ☹️
  • Posted

You will. I am not 100 percent pain free, but it did get better. Now I have new aches and pains!
  • Posted

I've had tendon repair 2 times.  Both times I started PT at 3 weeks.  Both times the surgery failed.  So...who knows?  Sometimes the surgery fails for no reason.   This time, since my tendon has completely torn off the bone and retracted and turning into a mass of fat, the  doctor had to rebuild a new tendon with tissue from  a cadaver. He is allowing me pendulums at 2 weeks and nothing else.  Sling/immobilizer for 6 weeks and no PT for 6 weeks.  I will take the conservative side because there is no way I will ever do this again.  They can friggin cut my arm off.  I am 4 weeks post op now so I've made it over half way.  Finally able to sleep.  Yes it is painful but not as painful as before surgery.   Hang in there Mia.   We are all with you

• Posted

Wow...  I mean dang that’s horrible!!!! Poor you, my dear. Gosh...  I feel guilty for complaining 🙃

My Dr said absolutely NO swinging. He was very specific too. Do nothing for 6 weeks. Wear that dang immobilizer 24/7 the entire time too

Now at almost 7 weeks... stretches, hang arms like “wet noodle” (which KILLS btw)

And 2 other slight ROM movements. Until PT next week.

I do trust him... he’s the #1 knee and shoulder Dr in town and probably the state. He speaks at seminars each month on this surgery.

Perhaps they’re realizing doing too much too soon ruins the surgery?

One thing he said is, it heals only 15% a month. So if you’re swinging and pulling on it before its even 1/2 way healed, it will undo everything. 🤷🏼???

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.