Conformis

Posted , 11 users are following.

Just found out I can get a "Conformis" custom replacement rather than off the "shelf" if I choose to do so. Anyone on the forum have any input about them. Positive or negative. I did see they had recall on one of there products a few years ago. Seems they have straightened that out. Thanks 

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Mine isn't that brand, it's called true match. I rather like the idea of something"designed" specifically for me. My surgeon has been using the designed ones for a few years, won't use anything else.

I say go for it!

• Posted

My surgeon uses Conformis as well and when he offered me 'made to measure' knees I couldn't say no so, I had both my knees done this year, first one, left knee, January 05 then right knee June 05.  At the moment I am still in the healing stage but so far so good, 0 straight and 110/120 bend but wish I could could get a better bend.  I must be honest its hard sometimes dealing with knees at different stages of healing.  I still have issues with swelling on left knee but wondering if its caused by changing gears in my car.   
    • Posted

Thanks for your input. I will keep your patricia25467 and follow your progress closely. I know we are all different in healing and such. My stupid mind see's me buying a pair of shoes at Marks and Spencers and then going to the custom shoemaker for a pair. You get the drift. 
  • Posted

I had my TKR in July of this year and my doctor used the Conformis custom knee. I haven't had any problems with my knee and it seems to be healing pretty good. I just had a doctor appointment and somehow I have developed a keloid with my incision. That explains why my incision is so tender and painful and I can't stand for any material to touch it, but I don't think it has anything to do with the Conformis knee. So far, so good.
  • Posted

Hi there I am knew to this forum and am finding it helpful.

I also had a Conformis knee in July 1015 so am 6 months post op. Are you in the UK? They are quite unusual here and I had a hell of a battle with my insurers but I won in the end.

I certainly thought it was the way forward. My surgeon and also someone on this forum compared it to buying a ready made shoe to a custom made! However, although I think my range of movement is good I am still having muscular pain. Hopefully this will improve. 

• Posted

I had both of my knees fitted with the Conformis iduo in March 2013. Initial recovery was great and I was happy. Yet medial pain never disappeared completely and after 4 years, I made the appointment to have them checked by my orthopedic surgeon. It turn out both implants had dislocated and I required revision surgery. This week I had the first of my knees done. The removed implant shows that the titanium never bonded with my bones. The cement used did not adhere to the implant and could be picked off with a slight flick of the fingernail. While this seems a great idea in theory, in practise issues need to be resolved for better bone integration and cements that work with both the prosthesis and bone.

• Posted

Would you mind telling me where you had your knee surgery.  
  • Posted

I had both knees replaced 2 years ago with Conformist Implants. My knees are functional , but I have never been without pain in two years. Dr says I possibly have CRPS. Whatever it is , it is terrible !’
  • Posted

Hello, I had my TKR( left) done in 2015 also. My doctor used the Conformis also and I still have pain in that knee. In fact I am still taking one Celebrex a night for the pain. The last time I saw my doctor which was in 2016, he said everything was fine, so I don't know. I'm always scared I'm gon fall. I just figured this is the way it's going to be. I just hope that my right knee doesn't start bothering me because I'm not sure I can do this again.

• Posted

I had the ConforMis total knee replacement in August 2017. I have popping and grinding in the knee and pain associated with the knee. My Dr. says I am in the 10 to 20% that has this problem. He also said there was nothing he could do about it. I must admit the pain is less than before the surgery and I am more mobile. If I had it to do over again, I would have tried stem cell first. Nothing to lose and I could always go for the knee replacement if the stem cell did not work. Can't get stem cell if the replacement surgery does not work.

• Posted

Both of my knees pop, and grind. It is especially painful to go from a sitting to a standing position. I am 2 yrs post-op with Bilateral  Conformis implants, and have never gone a day without pain since my surgery. 

I am trying to get an appt with a different Orthopaedic Surgeon, for a second opinion.. However, that is difficult to do. 

Like you , I so wish I had tried something else first. 

• Posted

If I hear anything , I will post here.  In searching the internet, it appears  Conformis has the worse number of problems. I will be talking to 3 other people who live in different areas from here to see what their Dr. say. None have the Conformis.
    • Posted

I had a conformis system put in my total knee replacement August 2018, San Jose, CA, and have suffered multiple issues ever since. Severe fluid leakage, infection that has continued well over 8 weeks, two rounds of antibiotics which did nothing, constant clicking, popping and clanking with even the slightest movement. I am very unhappy. The instability from any movement in my knee gives me a ton of anxiety because it feels horrible. I've not met anyone who has encountered this issue, but I am finding this online. I am wishing I had researched this knee system instead of taking the word of the surgeon on it. I suspect it is not going to last me the 20 years it should, and I don't look forward to having this crap replaced any time soon. How I am going to live with this pain and instability when I am still so young, I have no clue.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.