Confused!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi - I'm feeling a bit confused, and a little worried!  I was diagnosed with TN last October and was referred to a Maxillofacial Surgeon who referred me for an MRI which I had a week ago with a follow up appointment in April with him.  I've now had a letter today saying he wants me to have another MRI which has been booked for a week after I see him???  Does anyone have a clue why?  I had a 50 minute brain scan with the injection so I would think they must've got what they were looking for (or not) the first time!  I have begun to have more symptoms in the last few weeks, severe neck cramps which I've been given diazepam for and my jaw for a week was extremely stiff and difficult to open.  I know that others on here have had numerous MRI scans, but 3/4 weeks apart?  Thanks for any replies

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

hmmm, having a letter mailed to you saying you needed another follow up BEFORE speaking to your dr to find out the results would be very frightning. not knowing "why" would kill me and raise my anxiety too a fever pitch. i think your dr should have called you before to answer all those "why" questions you have. how unprofesional to scare your patient like that. please keep us informed!
  • Posted

Hi Joanna66862,

Likely Dr wants better view of a particular region. He should be willing to discuss everything with you.

eddie13

• Posted

Hi, Thanks for your replies, I agree that it doesn't seem very professional to send another MRI appointment through with no explanation.  And I keep thinking that maybe they made a mistake but I did phone the hospital and spoke to someone who said that there had definately been another appointment made as it showed 2 scan appoinments but she couldn't tell me why and that I should call back tomorrow for answers!  My husband said that they probably wanted another look at a certain area but surely once they have the images what would change in the space of a few weeks and then I start worrying again!  Thank you both for replying so quickly, and yes I will keep you informed, maybe they just made an error and double booked?!
  • Posted

Hi Joanna, why don't you ring the doctor him/herself? You can usually contact them via the medical secretary and that way, you'd get your mind put at rest.  Heather
  • Posted

Hi Joanna I went to the the hospital today for a ct scan and upon entry I was given a leaflet which explained a few things but also said" you may be asked to come back for another scan -this is perfectly normal" so I wouldn't worry too much.

How do they perform the brain scan? Is it through a long tunnel ?;I'm a bit chlosterphobic and got a bit edgy with the ct scan !

Thanks

• Posted

Hi thanks everyone!  I did ring today and was told they required some more images of a particular area, which is a bit worrying but also maybe a relief that it may be sorted soon!  Richardvilla - I had an mri, which is the long tunnel, I'm also terrified of enclosed spaces but before I went in I told the receptionist and she got them to come and get me a bit earlier, and they were brilliant, sat down and explained everything, I'm 46 and they even held my hand as I went in!  They explained that as the imaging area is half way down the scanner my hips downwards would actually be outside of the scanner which helped me alot, it lasted 50mins and about halfway through they brought me out for an injection which apparantly shows certain things more clearly.   The only thing that was a bit scary but actually not as bad as it sounds was that you have to have your head secured and a type of mask is fitted over your face.  It really does sound alot worse than it is and you have a 'panic button' if you want to come out and they can also see and talk to you whilst your in there.  

• Posted

hi joanna, glad to hear you got a sort of answer. i have mine this coming monday the 4th, ughhhh!!
    • Posted

Hi, Good luck for tomorrow, it's really not as bad as it all sounds.  All I kept thinking was that if they can figure out what the problem is and sort it them I can cope with it!  Hope it all goes well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.