confused

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi.

Just wondering if anyone can help me.

I am 12 weeks post tah and BSO for large ovarian cyst and severe endometriosis. I am 40 years old so due to my age I was put on HRT patches 6 weeks after my op. These however irritated my skin so unable to get a docs appointment I left a message for them to call me but they just left me a prescription without a consultation for oral Elleste duet 1mg. I am confused as all the literature seems to imply this medicine is for women who still have a womb. I obviously don't. Does anyone else take this after having had a TAH and BSO? I am unsure whether to just trust they have prescribed correctly or wait till someone can see me to talk it through. I have left my patch on for now which is a weekly change of fem seven and is a 75mg so worried 1mg is too low. So confused. Any advice please.

Thanks in advance

Julie x

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Julie,

I am sorry I cannot advise you as I,m not in the medical field but I had a TAH    leaving one ovary at the age of 42 due to severe endeometriosis causing massive adhesions, they took my final ovary 5 years later due to a burst cyst that a year later posed itself on scans as a possible tumour.....which Thank goodness was benign ..... had they have had the sense to read my notes they would have realised this but it was a scary time. There are allsorts of different types and doses of estrogen I tried skin patch cream and tablets all seemed different doses. I was told this was the only option as an estrogen as a different HRT or combined progesterone would only keep the endeometriosis alive. 

Let us know how you are 

Dawn x

• Posted

Hi. I'm exactly in same situation and same age. I was put on livial straight after op which was in May for 6 months. It is a steroid which has same affects as hrt as was told to stay away a from hrt so any chance of remaining endo can deminish. I made 4 months on livial but slept only 3 hrs a night and put on 2 stone so dr has said 4 months better than nothing. I've asked to have the oestrogel as I don't want it to be on tablets long term as go through liver. (I'm sure it's fine but I read it somewhere so was in my head)I've been on this for 1 week and have slept with no symptoms of flushes which is great. Made no difference to weight gain so far though 😢 it goes on like a moisturiser and dries in about 5 mins. I've had no skin reactions which I do sometimes with sticky plasters. I have been told that it can take three months for your body to get used to any medication so have to persevere. There is so little info for hrt in early or medical menopause and lots of scare stories. I've now gone with what will be will be attitude as Google has become my enemy. This site has been a godsend though. I hope you find something estrogen only that suits you soon. Good luck
  • Posted

Julie, I have been on oestradiol for 25 years now after surgery.  First it was the implants, now patches.  The patches irritated me too, so dr prescribed a smaller one twice a week x 100mg which is more than you are using.

As I had endo removed as much as surgeon could see as well, finally another dr suggested I use progestogen to prevent any remaining endo from being activated.  Just 10mg a day.  Can't tell any difference though.  I really think my pain is from adhesions caused by the surgery.  Anyway as it is not doing any harm, I still take it.

Don't use any combined hrt - it was proven to be problematic.  Stick to the oestradiol patches. Avoid the oral stuff.  I also top up with some oestrodiol gel when my patch does not go the distance.  I notice it when I suddenly get a wave of anxiety or depression without reason, and realised either I have forgotten to replace patch on time, or it has been used up.  My body needs more oestrogen than the patches can supply at times.

That was the beauty of the implant, my body used the oestrogen as it was needed.  A 12 month one only lasted 9 months for me.  For some women, it lasts longer.

My gyne did not wait 6 weeks to start hrt, went on it straight away so my body was not oestrogen starved to begin with.  At least, your dr has given you a good oestrogen, as long as it is oestradiol based.  Where I come from, it is called estraderm mx.  Mx meaning matrix, so that you don't get a big hit of oestrogen at once, it is slowly absorbed.

In the mean time, try cutting your patch in half and use the 2nd half later in the week, in a different place.  I put them on different places each time on backside and abdomen.  I keep the previous one on for a little while longer to try to squeeze out every milligram of oestrogen, while I have put on the 2nd patch.

I have found a compound chemist company who still make the implant pellets, so I am going to go back to them.

• Posted

On 2nd thoughts, using only half at a time may not work, as the patch may be designed to spread the oestrogen supply over 7 days and you will only get half that for 3 days.

Maybe putting the two halves in two different places may ease it a little with only small sections of your skin being glued at a time.

So definitely ask for patches that are applied twice a week.

• Posted

Thank you ladies.

I am gonna go back and chat it through again as not happy with the tablets. Daily or twice weekly patches would be ok I am sure as my current patches don't start irritating my skin till well into the week.

Thanks again.

Julie x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.