CONFUSED

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 64 years old and my new doctor (female) is encouraging me to start taking HRT, my old previous doctor (female) now retired thought it best I did not take it......

I've had a hip replacement and am having treatment for a rotatorcuff tear amongst other health problems most related to 'age'........

Would I benifitt at this late stage in taking HRT given the risks associated with it..........?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Dolly,

I would get a second opinion really, especially if you are confused.  I am not a doctor and while I know that hormones can be beneficial for some, it's really wise to make sure it's the right thing for you. 

Are you able to get a second opinion?  Please do as I don't know how if you are postmenopausal and for how long but from what I have read there are certain schools of thought and this isn't following any of them.

Good luck!

Anniexx

• Posted

Hi Annie.......I like my new doctor, she's feisty and I'm already on first name terms with her which makes me feel comfortable....

Not sure a second opinion would help as that is what it would be someone else's opinion.....

I'm doing all the research I can for me......hence me joining the forum here....I value everyone's opinion and thank you for your reply.

• Posted

Hello Dolly............ha im singing that to you, you wont know until youtry it, dont suffer, give it a go, just stick to staying on it for 5 years max no more, should be ok then, the later on in life you take it, the better i think it would be for us, as our risk of breast cancers get less as we get older, my opinion is, if it was me at your age, i would go for it, if it makes you worse, stop it!!
    • Posted

Thank you Elaine for your reply......I am leaning towards your suggestion and perhaps going with the patches.....
  • Posted

Dolly, from what I've read, estrogen lubricates your joints. Maybe this doctor is thinking that you would benefit from it based on the joint issues you are having. Also, as far as the risks go, bioidentical hormones, (instead of synthetic ones) are being prescribed now because they have fewer side effects. So I would say that you probably would benefit in trying the bioidentical hormone replacement. Good luck!
  • Posted

Hi Dolly,

If you are up for trying it make sure she gives you a bio identical one as these are much better tolerated than the older horse urine ones.

• Posted

Hi Dolly .. I would say it depends how you feel?  I'm 49 and for the last 4 years suffered terribly with peri menopausal symptoms.  I decided to try bio identical hormone cream for 14 months  and it helped me alot but I've decided to go off because of some associated risks. If you have no symptoms not sure why your doctor would recommend you go on them ?
    • Posted

Hi Barbara, I think she feels that I would benifitt taking HRT, though which type I have no idea as yet to be decided......pending a manogramme (routine) I shall having shortly...

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.