Confused

Posted , 8 users are following.

Can anyone explain !!!!

I've known my partner for 2 1/2 yrs , he's was diagnosed with bipolar as a teenager & he's now 49 yrs he takes his medication regularly & has check ups twice a year with his dr !!!!

50% of our relationship is great !! But 50% is very hard work!!!! He falls out with me regularly over mostly nothing , currently blanking me (4weeks now )as his mum had died , whom he never saw much of & hasnt particularly ever liked either

So back to my confusion!!!!

What is the point of the MEDICATION?????

I've seen him experience low moods, mania , constant break ups with me, doesn't like to answer my calls, ignores txt , strange religious beliefs , always stressed over minor daily life !!!

So basically what the point of the meds ? Can anyone explain please?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

It may be a good idea if you went to the doctors with him and explain it all to the doctor. He may need a change of medication!
    • Posted

Hi Michelle thanxs for your reply !

At the moment I'm being ignored but yes it be a good idea to may be explain to the dr his behaviour patterns

We live 50 miles apart so that's why I don't just turn up but tryin to giv him time & space but it is hard & upsetting each time he has these episodes

• Posted

This is one reason i don't take meds.

• Posted

Hi alwaysalone, my dad Marish from Birmingham (U.K.) is trying to reconnect with a friend with your username, if it's you please let me know and let me know how he can contact you xx

• Posted

Hi alwaysalone, my dad Marish from Birmingham (U.K.) is trying to reconnect with a friend with your username, if it's you please let me know and let me know how he can contact you xx

• Posted

The meds help but they don't cure bi-polar disorder. It is a very complex illness that often requires medication adjustments. Counseling may be something that can help you both get on the same page and work on the 50% of the relationship that isn't working as well as you would like it to.

You partner may still have to commit to doing a lot of personal work to make your relationship work better. As for the meds, if he was to stop them you might see the full-out effects of the disease. You sound frustrated that the meds aren't making your partner better.  As someone with bipolar disorder, I find that Meds are part of

the solution but only part.

The best to you, it sounds frustrating.

K

• Posted

Hi Karin

Thanxs for your reply so ok I understand if he wasn't on medication then he be a lot worse so it's keeping you under control but it's not a cure

I have done much research about bipolar so that's why I'm still with him but his actions towards me can be hurtful , he's never angry/violent or abusive in fact the only argument we have is via txt !!! He blanks me completely, won't answer calls or txt

Is it because of the bi polar or I'm I just in a bad relationship?

• Posted

Bipolar is frustrating as it is complex. At 49 I was diagnosed with Bipolar 1, rapid cycler. I take my meds otherwise my eposides are severe and I am hospitalized. After a year of once a week with my doc, she is still trying to find the right mix of medications. I know a lady with Bipolar 2, and it took three years before she had the right meds.

I do not want to discourage you ar all, only provide you with some information. It's important that he sticks to a medication schedule. Maybe he has missed doses or just quit taking his meds. It's really difficult for you and others that are caring for their loved ones who are mentally ill.

If it works out that you can accompany your partner to the doctor, this would be very supportive. Take care of yourself.

• Posted

I know its really hard to deal with people who has a bipolar disorder. One thing is that meds are only one factor which helps stabilize his mood. As we all know, bipolar disorder is a kind of mental disorder where a patient tends to experience extreme moods/ feelings wherein there are times that they feel very low while there are also times like they feel very happy. However, it seems like there's a triggering factor that worsen his condition. One reason may be because of the death of his mother and he became very depressed. The disorder will not be treated by meds along. As far as i've known, medication, therapy and lifestyle changes can help treat this disorder.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.