Confused

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am scheduled for cataract surgery in two weeks.  My prescripton is -6 in both eyes.  The technician doing my eye exam said I am -7.  I am wondering if she could get an exact number based on the fact that the cataracts make things blurry.  Before the cataracs got this bad my glasses and contact lens prescripton was -6, and I am very comfortable with that number.  I have been wearing contacts for years.  I am comfortable with distance vision. I sometimes need to wear readers for close up, however sometimes I do not need them.  My lenses are Toric and I have decided to get Toric IOLs. My question is: if I get cataract correction for distance, will I be able to see anything at 10 - 12" from my face or will I always need readers? I do not mind wearng readers occasionally, but would like to know if that is the only way I will be able to see in the middle range.  Also, if I have one eye done, can I continue to wear a contact lens in the other eye until I am sure how to have that eye corrected?  I know I do not want a full monovision, but is it possible to  correct for something less than 20/20 so that I can see close? (I beleive another poster called in "half unit nearsighted".

0 likes, 70 replies

70 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

That's great Pam! Maybe I'll get mini-monovision with the same monofocal IOL I have now (I only have a slight astigmatism in one eye only I think, but not enough for a toric lens).

• Posted

FYI - Prior to my surgery I was wearing contact lenses.  The left lens was not a Toric lens, so I assumed I would not be getting a Toric IOL.  But apparently I had a small astigmatism in that eye and the doctor felt I would benefit from having a Toric IOL.  So I have Toric lenses in both eyes.
  • Posted

Did the toric lenses cost more than regular ones?
    • Posted

Yes - about $1300.00 each. My health insurance would have paid for the basic lenses, but if I did not get Toric lenses I would definitely be using glasses and I did not want that.  
    • Posted

A couple more questions - so do you think the only time you'll need glasses is to see really small print like on food cans and prescription bottles? Are the texts on your phone perfectly clear (not at all blurry) holding your phone at a normal distance?

• Posted

And I know they could do limbal relaxing incisions but in no way, shape or form would I ever go for that.
    • Posted

I'm pretty sure my astigmatism isn't bad enough for a toric lens or my doctor probably would have mentioned it to me. Plus toric IOLs can rotate. So much to think about!

• Posted

Plus I had LASIK vision correction so would be especially against having limbal relaxing incisions because of that, but I wouldn't let them do it even if I had not had LASIK.

• Posted

I can read the very small print on the prescription bottle at about 16" (I actually measured the distance with a ruler for you)!  Very clear.  Texts on my phone are clear (text size on an iPhone is set right in the middle) at 12" (again measured for you).  Inside of 12" I feel cross eyed trying to read them, so I use glasses (cheaters).  I do not need glasses to read recipes or food cans.  Hope this helps. 

• Posted

I do not know how having had Lasik affects IOL's so it would definitely be a conversation with your doc.  

• Posted

One last question (for now at least!) - do you feel like you may need glasses at some point to drive at night or even during the day and night? Or is it perfectly clear? I read some people who get mini-monovision might need to wear glasses to drive either just at night or even both day and night. This question might not help me since you have toric lenses, but I'm just wondering.

• Posted

And I finally got around to looking up how to enlarge the texts on my iPhone. For anyone else who needs to do this it's:

Go to Settings > General > Accessibility > Larger Text (or Larger Type in iOS 7).

Turn on Larger Accessibility Sizes (or Larger Dynamic Type in iOS 7) for bigger font options.

Drag the slider to select the font size you want.

• Posted

And my iPhone 7 Plus also has a magnifier in the camera. I bought a magnifier but that will still come in handy since it's smaller.

• Posted

And I can also use the Zoom feature on my iPhone 7 Plus, another thing I never paid attention to since I didn't need it.

• Posted

It even has a special zoom setting for low light situations.
    • Posted

I just set up my iPhone so it has a magnifier on texts. Very cool! The only problem is what I would do if I changed to a phone with less features in the future.
    • Posted

And I really don't need it now especially, but if I decide not to get mini-monovision, it makes things a little easier to read (I can already read them without it though).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.